Chapter 27

George had always known when he was wrong, after all, he had been the more sensible twin growing up. He knew exactly how it felt when life was trying to tell him something was wrong, as if it were reaching out its hands and wrapping its slim fingers around his neck until he could see everything he's done wrong flashing before his eyes. And as he was staring at his older brother wrapping his body around Clover's, life was flashing his mistakes brighter than ever before. He felt like he was suffocating, his body on fire with a need to reach out and touch Clover, to pull her into his arms and kiss every part of her until she forgave him.

In simpler terms, George knew that he had fucked up big time. But his body seemed to react to the sight before him without waiting for his mind to catch up. So instead of apologies dripping off his tongue, he was quickly making a move towards the two in front of him.

"Now," George gripped at Charlie's arm before he could take another step, "You'll explain now."

His eyes were focused solely on Charlie, whose face was still light and flooded with amusement and a hint of confusion. He couldn't bring himself to look at Clover, he would've fallen to his knees in front of her if he did.

Charlie reached out and patted his cheek brotherly, slightly laughing as he spoke, "I missed you, too, Georgie. But we can catch up as soon as I get her home, yeah?"

His own reaction to his brother's words terrified him. He flickered his eyes towards Clover, and he felt his entire body ache for a cigarette, for his addiction, for her. George wanted to breathe in her smoke, let it fill his entire body with the calmness that only she could supply, and drown himself in the feeling of her against him. The feeling of going home. But he couldn't.

George's grasp loosened as his hand begun to shake, and he quickly stuffed it in his pocket. She took too much from him, he tried to remind himself. She took Angelina away from him, he tried to remind himself. She took away the thoughts of Fred, he tried to remind himself. But then she looked at him, smoky and addictive, and he suddenly didn't care about any of that any more. He wanted Clover, and that's all he could think about.

Someone said something, but George didn't know who or what. He was too busy looking at the arm wrapped around Clover's waist. The body pressed against Clover's body. Clover and Charlie. And him, a whole world away.

Frustration at himself began bubbling up as he tuned into the conversation around him.

"Hold on," a confused Bill Weasley had asked, Fleur tucked under his arm, "So you know Charlie?"

He was looking at Clover, whose cheeks were pink and eyes glaring at the two chuckling boys standing in the doorway.

"Yes she does," a smirking Lee Jordan responded for her, his eyebrows wiggling at the blonde girl suggestively.

"M'wife," Charlie hummed jokingly, pulling Clover closer to his body.

Bill creased his forehead in confusion, moving on to point at George, "And you know George?"

Babs, hiding his laughter in Lee's shoulder, responded this time, "Yup, she sure does."

George's whole entire body tensed and he found himself glaring at Charlie challengingly, "She's my...,"

The room fell silent in anticipation, waiting for George to finish his sentence. But his voice died down with hesitation. not knowing what to say. Friend, he should said. Friend, he opened his mouth reluctantly to say. Friend, the word was dangling off his tongue. Friend, he couldn't say. It would've been a lie. His mouth began to shut as another voice answered for him.

"Employee," the word echoed off of Clover's lips, bitter and drained of amusement.

She looked at him and suddenly the only color in the entire world was blue. The very blue that kept him on his toes during the day and that whispered secrets to him at night.  Those blue eyes, her blue eyes; a beautiful, mad world. Utter need struck him as she looked away. George needed to live in that world.