Chapter 6

You woke the next morning way later than usual. It was close to 10:00 am. You jumped out of the bed to find Peter had dropped off your stuff before he left. You got ready with a quick shower, and snuck into the elevator and then the kitchen to grab something quick for breakfast. You found a granola bar and figured it would hold you over until lunch. It was oddly quiet in the tower. It gave you the chills and you made your way down to the lab.

Upon entering the lab, you found Bruce working away at his desk, a screen playing in the corner with what looked like a camera feed.

"It's a live feed from the mission," he calls, noticing you watching from the doorway. You nodded, skimming the screen, seeing the familiar faces flash by.

"Sorry I'm late," you state, making your way over to him.

"No problem. Peter told me that you were moving into his room this morning for the week, so I expected you to take a while." He faces you with a soft smile. You nodded. You felt a little awkward today after what happened yesterday. Of course, Bruce didn't know, but that didn't make you feel any more relaxed.

Eventually, you got back in your grove, and the two of you worked the rest of the day, with Bruce taking breaks every once and a while to check on the team.

The next 5 days went smoothly. You ate meals with Bruce and worked in the lab the rest of the day. You had free range of the tower, spending time after dinner watching movies on the couch. The couch was surprisingly comfortable. You had fallen asleep on it 3 nights in a row but always woke up in your bed. You were sure to thank Bruce in the morning, as he must have moved you to Peter's bed, but he always waved the thanks away. If he was being honest, he enjoyed having company. Before, he would have been left at the tower alone for the week. Not that he doesn't enjoy being alone, but you had a warmth to your personality that made being around you enjoyable.

The morning of the 6th day of your planned stay, Bruce informed you he had a private meeting all morning.

"So you can have the morning off. Go nuts. Just don't break anything. I don't want to listen to Tony's bitching," he joked. You laughed, promising him to be careful.

You settled into the couch to watch another movie but quickly decided that you were bored. You got up to stretch and scanned the common room for something to do. You made your way over to the kitchen, scanning for something to eat. Upon scanning the cupboards, you decided you were going to make cookies. You hadn't done that in a long time, never really having the free time to do it. Plus, it would be a nice surprise for the Avengers when they got back tomorrow.

You pulled out the ingredients you needed, getting to work. You asked FRIDAY to connect to your phone to play some music. The quietness of the tower still freaked you out with no one being there.

You were scoping out the dough onto a baking sheet when Every Little Thing- Carly Pearce came on. It was one of your favourite songs to sing. You broke out in a huge smile, not holding back as you continued to scope out the dough.

The team pulled into the elevator, tired, a bit bruised, but mostly happy to have finished the mission over a day early. Peter was giddy to check on you. Most of them hungry, the team agreed to stop at the kitchen for them all to grab a snack before they started their debriefing. Much to the team's surprise, as the elevator doors opened, music filled the air, as well as the smell of melting chocolate. The team was excited to follow the scent, but Peter held out his hands stopping the others. A knowing smile crossed his face. One of your favourite songs had just come on, and he could recognize that smell anywhere, and he knew exactly what was about to happen.

The rest of the team looked at him like he was nuts. They tried again to push past him, but as the lyrics started, they all stopped dead in their tracks.