Chapter 10

The next morning, you and the Science Bros emerge from the lab, sedated by satisfaction in finally figuring out and being able to finish the experiment. With barely enough energy to make it to your bedroom, you choose, along with Bruce and Tony, to bypass eating and going straight to bed. Bruce doesn't even say goodbye when the elevator doors open, he just stumbles away to his room, causing Tony to laugh under his breath and run his fingers through his hair, grimacing slightly when he realizes he hasn't showered in a couple of days and his hair is greasy. You laugh because his hair is now standing up on end. You step out of the elevator and turn to say goodnight to Tony, even though you have no idea what time of day it is, but see him step out as well, and continue walking past you towards your, aka Peter's, bedroom. You follow him curiously.

He opens the door for you and gestures for you to enter first. You do so, sighing contently at the sight of the bed. You don't even wait to see what Tony wants, instead flinging yourself onto the bed, not even taking the time to get under the blankets.

Tony huffs in laughter and makes his way over to the bed, where you now have your face buried in a pillow. He does you the favour of pulling your shoes off your feet so you will be more comfortable to fall asleep, not that he thinks it will take much. You mumble a muffled thank you into the pillow, turning your head slightly so that you can see him. He takes a seat on the edge of the bed by your stomach so he is facing your head. He has a gentle smile on his face and you swear you see a look of pride in his eyes. He reaches out and pushes your hair out of your face before speaking.

"Thank you for your work this week." Your eyes open wide in surprise and he laughs. "I will deny it if anyone asks, but it would have taken Bruce and I a few more days to figure that out, and somehow, that big brain of yours," he says while poking my forehead, "figured it out all on your own. Truly amazing." He smiles softly. You manage a small smile but are still shocked by his statement. "Most people would be jumping at the bits to rub this in my face right now," he adds when you don't say anything. You shake your head, forcing yourself to sit up, resting your back on the headboard.

"As you said, you would have figured it out. I just got lucky." He scoffs.

"Don't discount yourself. You are more valuable than you realize." Now is your turn to laugh. You squint your eyes at him in disbelief.

"Some people would disagree with you."

"No one here would. And any of those people are one, idiots, two, wrong, and three, better watch their back because you have Ironman on your side. He is known to be very persuasive." You give a small smile at that but look down at your hands with a furrowed brow. "Hey, hey. We are supposed to be happy right now. None of that." You force a watery smile and he frowns, eyebrows furrowing.

"Sorry," you say trying to laugh it off, but it comes out more like a choked sob. A tear slips out of your eye and Tony reaches up, whipping it away. 

"Is this one of those Canadian things where you say sorry for absolutely no reason?" You laugh for real this time, shaking your head.

"We don't do that."

"You literally said sorry to a table yesterday when you ran into it. You do that."

"Shut up." He raises his hands in defeat, and you smile, but it quickly fades as you take in the sincerity in his eyes. "I just... I haven't had anyone except Peter and May in my corner for a long time," you confess with more tears spilling down your face.

"What about your mom? You don't talk about her much, but from what you have said and I have heard from Peter, she is the leader of the [Y/N] fan club." You sniffle and laugh a little at the image of Peter, May, your mom and Tony wearing shirts with your face on them.