Chapter 22

Warning: Sexual content <3

***********************************************************************************************

There is a moment of silence while you search his eyes, taking in his shock and trying to gauge how he is feeling. Bucky breaks the silence.

"What?" That makes you crack a small smile for a moment, but you quickly return to your sober expression. He runs his hands through his hair anxiously, scrubbing his face with his hands, taking a step back, leaving you standing by yourself. "Shit," you hear his whisper. He backs away from you, going to his kitchen and leaning on the counter, his back to you and his head hanging between his shoulders. You expected him to be surprised by the news, you were expecting him to be comforting you and assuring you about Tony, not whatever this was.

"Bucky?" you ask quietly, tears flowing down your face faster now. You hear him let out a shaky breath. You move to take a step towards him, but he turns quickly, putting his fist through the wall of his kitchen, breathing heavily. You rush towards him, trying to calm him down with soft words. "Hey, hey, shhhh. It's okay." He huffs out a defeated laugh, backing away from you again, but not getting very far due to the counter behind him.

"This is anything but okay." He grips his hair tightly, pulling his head towards his chest. You take a cautious step closer, and he doesn't react, so you take another, noticing his shoulders shaking. You lightly place your hands on his shoulders, running them down his arms, to his hands in his hair, gently trying to loosen them. He lets them drop, refusing to touch you back.

"Bucky..." you whisper again. He looks up at you, and you see so much pain, his eyes mirroring your own. "Bucky, what's going on? I know the news is shocking, but I kind of expected a different reaction," you admit, cracking a small teasing smile, that he doesn't return, causing yours to fall. You take a step back, and he breathes out a shaky breath, turning his back to you again, slamming his fist down on the counter.

"Fuck, why him of all people?" You hear him say under his breath.

"Bucky, please. I don't understand what's going on," you plead.

"Nothing." You shake your head in disbelief.

"It's clearly something. Buck, please."

"I think you should go home. Peter is probably expecting you."

"I'm not gonna leave you here like this. You were fine a minute ago. If you don't want to talk about it, just say that, but please don't push me away."

"There is nothing to talk about. It's fine."

"Then why are you agitated that Tony's my father?" He turns around quickly, clearly agitated.

"Because I'm in love with a girl whose grandparents I murdered!" He huffs out a dark laugh, covering his face with his hands and letting out a loud scream. You stand there shocked, tears no longer falling down your face, a small smile making its way onto your face. You step closer to him again, trapping him against the counter. You try to move his hands away from his face, but he resists. You try again, and this time he concedes, pain in his eyes, but his gaze becomes confused when he takes in the growing smile on your face.

"You love me?" He scrunches his eyebrows, looking at you like you're crazy.

"What?"

"You said you love me," you state, still holding on to his hands. Realization crosses his face, and a faint blush shows on his tanned skin. But he quickly back tracks, trying to remove his hands from your hold.

"I also said that I murdered you grandparents." You shake your head, not letting go of his hands.

"No you didn't. The Winter Soldier did. That's not you and you know that. You said it to me earlier." He ducts his head, and you lift his chin to make him look at you.