Chapter 8

"We thought you died," Bucky states as you climb back into the fort, seeing that they had started a new movie while waiting for you. You laugh, putting your head in Wanda's lap and feet in Natasha's instead of returning to your previous spot. Neither woman push you away, and Wanda places her hand on your forehead comfortingly.

"Maybe I did," you counter with a smirk. He rolls his eyes, turning the movie off so everyone turns their attention to you.

"So how did it go?" Nat asks, clearly annoyed because Tony turned the cameras off.

"Dare completed, but mission failed," you sigh, faking that you are upset.

"Bummer," Sam answers. "Bet you did it on purpose." You scoff at him.

"RUDE!" You lean over slightly so you can smack his arm. He laughs as you settle back into Wanda's lap. "Moving on, Clint, truth or dare?"

The game continues on for another hour, learning a bit more about everyone, but nothing too wild. Eventually, you fall asleep with your head in Wanda's lap.

Morning rolls around quickly, and you are woken up by the smell of pancakes. You open your eyes, and take in your surroundings and remember last night. You smile brightly, sitting up quietly so as to not wake up the rest of the group that had also decided to sleep in the fort last night. They all look as though they need more sleep, especially after a week-long mission, so you quietly step over bodies and climb out of the fort, making your way over to the kitchen island.

You climb onto a stool, watching as Steve flips pancakes, a large pile already done. He turns around to face you, sensing your presence, and smiles softly at your bed head.

"Looks like someone had fun last night," he says, pointing his flipper at the blanket fort that took up almost the entire living area of the common room. You give him a big smile and yawn, placing your chin on your crossed arms that were resting on the island top. He laughs at your reaction and continues cooking.

"You should join us next time," you offer into the comfortable silence, and he nods as you take in his figure from behind. Not too hard on the eyes Mr. Rogers. Thank you, German scientists. You hear giggling beside you as Wanda walks by towards the elevator. She makes eye contact with you, and you squint at her accusingly. Stop reading my thoughts, you shoot at her.

"Stop screaming them in your mind and I won't be forced to," she shoots back with a huge smile before turning the corner.

"What was that about?" Steve asks, looking between you and where Wanda had just been.

"Wanda is nosy," you say, hopping off the stool and coming around the island, so you are standing next to Steve. You can sense him go rigid at your close contact, different from his previous interactions with you. You can see a blush creep on his face, and smile to yourself, deciding to play into it. You lean towards him on your toes, reaching your arm out. To him, it looks like you were about to hug him, but you move at the last second to grab a plate out of the cupboard behind him, filling it with pancakes all while he stands watching. He shakes his head accusingly at you, and you just look at him innocently.

He grabs two forks from the drawer, handing one to you, as you return to your spot at the island. You give him a mischievous smile, which he returns, stealing a piece of your pancakes with his fork. You scoff at him with a laugh, and he continues to eat off your plate, so you give in, sliding it to be in the middle of the island between you. You eat in silence, and finish the breakfast, looking up to see he has syrup on the side of his mouth. Before you could tell him, his tongue shoots out, licking it up while making eye contact with you. You blush, and he smirks at your reaction.