Thirteen

Photo of Dmitri avilla above
(Leo's dad)
Please do vote. Comment.share
It will really go a long way for me.😭
X
Viv.

                               LEO
Mr Shem,our Art teacher walks round the class to look at the previous weeks assignment. A painting. I remember he said "I won't give you a focus,go and seek inspiration". I casually glance round the room and I see most people have paintings of views,lakes, some even cars  but only me has a person painted buy seeing as she was the only thing on my mind nothing else could inspire me so i just went ahead and painted her. From her long blonde hair to her honey brown eyes and the deep column of her lips,its a pretty intricate work and I know I did well.

" she family?" Someone says beside me, I turn and meet my teacher's  scrutinizing gaze. No sir. "Mhh" is all he says before walking past. When he goes back to the front he commends the class as a whole urging us to not limit our vision to be open and creative in our work. Then the bell goes and Everyone packs up and starts leaving, I wait for the traffic to clear since I'm at the back when Mr Shem beckons on me. I walk over to where he leans on a desk and look up waiting for him to speak. I don't know what I'm expecting him to say but he starts with asking "the girl, someone special?" I don't really know sir,I was just inspired to paint her. " Hmm" he says again " well,I didn't need to tell Everyone but you certainly had the best work on the assignment "  thank you sir I say with a small smile. "I don't know your plans for college but it would do you good to apply to New York academy of Arts,you've got great potential young man". Thank you sir,I will definitely consider it I say before nodding curtly and exiting the class.

Its been a shitty week. I felt like shit for what I said to Lilia and my guilt couldn't even let me face her. I avoided her like plague and even stopped attending the group meetings which I know will get me in huge trouble with my therapist much more my dad. I'm still deep in thought when someone crashes into me and everything in my hands splutter over The floor and I curse in annoyance. The scrawny looking kid just looks terrified as I send him death glares. Unfortunately for him my entire frustration goes into those glares. I'm still looking at him as he stutters apologies when someone walks up to us and I see her. Its like I'm seeing her for the first time again and I drink in her features as she talks to the kid. She's so nice,too nice for this shitty world. She taps his shoulder sympathetically as he leaves and I just reel in my anger. Then she bends and. Starts picking up my stuff and I'm in awe of how good can a person be after how shitty I was to her she still cares? I'm still lost until I see her go for the canvass then reality slaps and before I can grab it she has flipped it over and is now staring at her own image,her eyes as wide as saucers. I watch her nervously for her reaction and it goes from awe to awe. She can't believe it. I almost chuckle at her cuteness.  Suddenly we are joined by the red head who clears her throat to announce her presence. "Woah you're good" she says. And I just smile a little saying nothing . Lilia is still quiet until the bell rings and I realise she might still not want to speak to me. But then she does "have you been avoiding me she asks" giving me a pointed glare. "You king of implied we stay away from each other " I reply with a wry smile because even though I'm doing what she wants, it hurts."well I said a lot I shouldn't have that day" . so did I and I apologise I say. Not wanting to continue this, I collect my things from her and make my way to my locker to switch my stuff.

My last class is Mandarin. I know what you're thinking who chooses such a hard language but but hey its a bonus understanding one of the hardest languages on the planet. So I walk in a little late and the only free seat is the one next to Lilia's friend,one of the twins. I take it and I glance at her notebook and win is written on it. What kind of name is that? I internally ask.  We begin the class and today we're learning about Mandarin and tourism. We learn phrases that tourists should know and simple conversations that a tourist and a local might engage in. At the middle of the class we were told by the teacher to practice the conversations among ourselves so naturally everyone turned to their seatmates. I turn and meet her calculating gaze.  Leo I simply say to which she replies "winter" well that explains a lot I say internally. We then go ahead and practice together until we are positive we are ready to visit China. "So,what's your story Leo" story? "Yeah,Everyone has a story" I smile realising she quoted john green. We don't get to finish the talk when the teacher silences everyone and the class continues. She just smirks at me and faces the teacher, she's cool I conclude also facing the class.

When its over I pack up my stuff and Start to walk out when I hear my name "yo Leo!" I turn and see winter. " I didn't get your story" she says with a smile but I don't miss the way her eyes glint almost daring me to not answer the question or something.  Now winter while I'd love to engage you in my boring life tales I have somewhere to be right now but I'll give you answer, someday. I finish. We are now outside the classroom as people shuffle all around us as its school over. "Someday" she agrees with a smirk "see you in class Leo" she says but I don't get to reply as someone interrupts us with her name "Winnie?" I turn to face Lilia for the second time today. "Lil!" She gushes at her friend who just stares at us "this is
Leo, Leo my friend Lilia" winter attempts to introduce us "we've met" Lilia says "but I didn't know you two were friends" she says the last word with a drawl. " oh i won't say friends yet," winter starts smiling at me "but we'll see what happens".  " right " Lilia says. " well I need a ride so I'll wait at your locker" she says and makes to leave . No need I finally speak up,I have somewhere to be anyways,see you in class winter I say before I walk away.