Grateful

Kiara is such a complicated person with so many issues. She definitely shouldn't be in any type of relationship. Lol. Vote. Comment. Thanks. 

Nolan dug into his wallet and pulled out his last, lonely twenty and hesitantly handed it over to the clerk at Piggly Wiggly's. The haul of franks, beans, chips, a couple boxes of kraft mac and cheese, and a few other random food items ate up his whole twenty, leaving him with fifty cents to his name until he got paid again. They would have to stretch the food that they had, with so many people to feed he wasn't sure how that was going to go. Worse yet, his mother's disability check was still missing this month and when he called he just got the runaround.

This was going to be a rough week, he knew it. He checked the time on his phone as he grabbed the bags and headed out of the store. He saw he had about fifteen minutes to spare, but not a lot of gas, so he dumped the bags into the backseat of his car before walking over to the coffee shop right next to the grocery store he had just exited. It was too hot to wait in the car.

Upon entering he caught Kiara's eye, and even though she was with a customer, she grinned at him happily. Just like that, all the exhaustion and worry he had been feeling lifted up off him and he felt okay again.

He took a seat at an empty table as he waited for Kiara's shift to end. While he waited, he texted his friends back, but ignored the texts from Kiara's friends. They shared a phone now, so he had to often sort through the messages. When he looked back up at the girl, he found she was watching him with a frown. He recognized the jealousy on her face. He pretended not to notice. Kiara still had issues with his friendship with Tori, no matter how many times he assured her he was all and only hers.

Finally, with her shift over, Kiara walked to him with a small smile. He grinned back as he stood, the expression growing bigger as she leaned down and laid a breathtaking kiss on him.

"How was it?" He asked, breaking the kiss. Kiara had only been working at the cafe for about a month, but the money she brought in was a lot of help.

"Not hard," she shrugged, "the same it's been." She reached into the pocket of his hoodie and removed 'their' cell phone. As he wrapped his arm around her waist and began to guide them out of the coffee shop, Kiara went through the phone. She made it seem like she was looking at the missed calls and texts from her friends, but he knew she was reading through the texts he shared with Tori.

He sighed gently. "Well, I picked up some groceries." He commented.

"Yeah? What did you get?" She asked, seeming to decide there was nothing incriminating in the phone. He wondered what she would do if she did find something that suggested he was cheating. He hated to say it, but he doubted she would break up with him. Their lives had become too entwined around one another's for her to do that.

It was a strange thought, realizing that if he was a different sort of person he could take advantage of Kiara's dependence on him and love for him easily.

"How do you feel about ramen for dinner?" He asked.

"Yum," she said sarcastically. She rolled her eyes and sighed. "I got some tips today...do we need gas?"

He shrugged. "We always need gas. We can use your tips to pay for your grandma's medicine though. I think there is a little left on my mom's credit card - enough for gas anyway."

She reached into the apron she still wore and handed him a few crumbled bills and some change, then sullen went and got into the car. He shoved what appeared to be about twenty-five dollars into his pocket. He got in the car just in time to see her punching in numbers angrily into the phone.