Chapter 17

Two days. In just two days, they would have been together for a month. And although Lauren wasn't usually one to be particular about those sorts of occasions, this milestone with Camila felt immensely sentimental. She was proud of them, for whatever reason. For once, it was special to her. She'd never made a big deal out of it in the past. But one month with Camila was significant to her. It was all she thought about when she woke up.

All throughout the silent bus ride and chaotic class changes, it was on her mind. She wore a dumb smile virtually all day. All of the girls saw it. Camila was exhibiting the same behavior. They could not stop smiling. The couple hadn't been so open about their relationship, so what they were so smiley about was left to their friends' imagination.

Normani nudged Dinah when Lauren shuffled into the classroom. She made it in right as the bell rung. Walking to Camila to class every day had become their norm. And nearly being late every day had also become Lauren's norm. But there was an extra pep to her step when she walked over to her seat. Dinah and Normani shared a knowing smirk right as she sat down.

"What's up, Lo?" Normani greeted her with a friendly wave.

"Hey," Lauren smiled.

"Okay, you and Mila have been smiling nonstop all day," Normani started. "What happened?"

"Did you finally get some?" Dinah inferred. That was her favorite way to tease the two of them, knowing how unlikely that was. She was always rewarded with some type of shy smile or blushing. It never failed.

"No. Jesus, Dinah..." Lauren giggled. Their friends knew nothing of their attempt. And if they did, they'd never stop teasing them about it. She decided then that if they ever got around to it, they'd have to keep it to themselves. "That's not the only reason people smile, you know."

"I know. I'm just kidding. But are you gonna tell us? Or do I just have to steal Mila's journal?" Dinah quipped.

"That would probably be the best way to find out," Normani nodded as she played along.

"No, no robbery," Lauren declined. "Guess what's in two days?"

"I don't know," Normani laughed.

"Your birthday," Dinah guessed.

"It's February..." Lauren deadpanned. "My birthday is in June. I thought you knew that?" she pouted as she feigned offense.

"I know your birthday," Dinah assured her. And she would know. She'd just have to ask Camila later. But she knew. "What's in two days?"

"Our one month," Lauren said as she broke out into another smile.

"Should've known it had something to do with Mila," Normani rolled her eyes playfully. "That's cute though. Are you gonna do anything for her?"

"I know what she's doing for you," Dinah smirked. She'd annoyed the details out of Camila earlier. The fact that their anniversary was coming up had completely slipped her mind. But she remembered it all now. And it was taking a lot of self control not to spill the details to Lauren.

"Really?" Lauren asked as Mrs. Trainor started speaking. She lowered her voice to a whisper. "What is she doing?"

"She told me not to tell you," Dinah smirked. She knew just about everything regarding Camila's plans. It made her happy to hear how articulate each detail was. They only way she'd gotten to her to disclose those things was by swearing not to tell Lauren. And she wouldn't. She didn't want to betray her trust and miss out on getting insiders in the future. She had to stay on top of her ship somehow.

"Dinah," Lauren groaned.

"Sorry, Lo. I promised," Dinah shrugged.

"Well just give me an idea," Lauren suggested.