Chapter 24

This had to have been one of the worst days ever for Lauren. It was definitely in her top three. Because she'd spent nearly all of her evening crying her little heart out, she hadn't completed any of her homework assignments. She hadn't studied either, so she was pretty sure she bombed the pop quiz in her history class. And of all days, everyone seemed to choose this one to speak to her. Even people she didn't talk to on a regular basis seemed to want to make conversation with her. She had to try really hard not to be a bitch. It was tedious.

"Dang, Lo. You look like shit," Dinah teased when she saw Lauren trudging into their anatomy class. She hadn't seen her all day. She was missing at lunch time. But unknown to Dinah and the rest of their group, Lauren opted to eat lunch with Vero and Lucy today - just to steer clear of Camila.

"Thanks, Dinah," Lauren said curtly as she took her seat beside her. She slouched over the desk immediately in hopes of discouraging any attempts of conversation.

"Did you get hit by a bus?" Dinah continued.

"Dinah," Lauren groaned. "I'm really not in the fucking mood," she said simply. She knew Dinah was only joking around, but it was pissing her off at the moment.

"What's wrong with you?" she questioned sadly. For a second, she thought it was because what she'd said had offended her. "You don't really look like shit. I was kidding."

Lauren knew it was the truth though. The bags under her eyes were a clear indication of her lack of sleep. She laid awake nearly all night, tortured by reliving everything about their painful breakup. She didn't bother doing her makeup or putting together a nice outfit. So her less-than-perfect skin was sporting all of its flaws, and she'd dressed herself in sweats at the last minute. Her mood wasn't very nice either. She'd been irritable and quiet all day. She probably did look like shit. She felt like it too.

"Nothing," Lauren muttered.

"Mila is rubbing off on you," Dinah rolled her eyes. She was used to hearing that bullshit response from the brown-eyed girl.

"Can we not talk about her right now?" Lauren sighed as she buried her face into her hands.

That let Dinah know there was seriously something wrong. Under most circumstances, Lauren would jump at any opportunity to talk about Camila. She would usually spend most of the period rambling dumb stuff about her to Dinah.

"What the hell happened?" Dinah demanded.

"Nothing," Lauren said again, really not in the spirit to bring it up. It was still fresh. It was an open wound that she'd been trying to avoid all day.

"Girl," Dinah deadpanned, wishing she would just come out with it at once.

"We broke up," Lauren shared.

"What?! No!" Dinah cried out, making everyone turn back to look at them.

"Yup," Lauren nodded in a daze. "So how was your day?"

"Why?" Dinah whined. "Who did it? You or her? What the fuck, why?"

"I really don't want to talk about it, Dinah..." Lauren complained as she ran her hand through her hair in exasperation.

"It was you, wasn't it? What the hell?" Dinah assumed as she stared at the side of Lauren's head.

"Yes, okay. Now can you just stop..." Lauren requested flatly.

"Did she tell you?" Dinah questioned.

"Tell me what?" Lauren sighed.

"About everything all those people were saying?" Dinah informed her. "Because if she told you and you broke up with her anyway then-"