Chapter 33

"Slow down!" Camila shrieked from the back seat.

"Camila, I am barely going the fucking speed limit. Because of you, I am going at least like, twelve under. Chill out," Lauren retorted as her hands gripped the wheel a little harsher.

Due to Camila's severe lack of trust with Lauren behind the wheel, Lauren had been making special accommodations. Those accommodations made her resent driving anywhere with Camila, though. Camila insisted that she goes slow and obsessively checks all of her mirrors. Lauren knew that Camila's overbearing backseat driver tendencies stemmed from fear of her getting hurt, but her motives didn't stop her from being any less annoyed.

"Sorry..." Camila pouted and sunk into the seat and rubbed her neck. Her seatbelt had been digging into it because of how much she strained against it to make sure Lauren was driving safely.

"Mani, tell me we're almost there," Lauren looked over at Normani in the passenger seat with pleading eyes.

"We've only been on the road for like, five minutes..." Normani deadpanned. "Just tell Mila to shut up."

"I heard that," Camila grumbled from behind.

"Shut up," Normani told Camila, then smirked at Lauren. "See? Just that simple."

"I hate you," Camila scoffed and kicked her seat as best as she could from her cramped position.

"Good one, Mani," Lauren laughed, enjoying the banter between them. She held up her hand for a high five and nearly swerved off of the road when Camila screamed.

"Keep your hands on the wheel!!!" Camila scolded Lauren with frantic eyes, leaning forward once more. The seatbelt bit into her skin again and she reared back a little.

"Mila, what the hell," Dinah commented with a frown, tuning into her surroundings. Camila had previously been drowned out by her headphones, but even Dinah heard that.

"Camz, I swear, if we get into an accident, it'll be your fault. Can you fucking calm down?" Lauren snapped, glaring at her through the rear-view mirror.

"Why don't you just take a nap, Mila?" Ally offered her mediation. It seemed like it was three against one.

"I can't. I'm too worried," Camila mumbled as she ducked back into her respective corner.

"There's nothing to worry about," Normani commented, twisting around to see her.

"I just don't want anything bad to happen-" Camila responded, but a car from her peripheral vision prompted get into action. She plunged forward and pointed at the slowly approaching car wildly. "Watch out for that car!!!"

"Camz! I fucking saw it!" Lauren yelled back at her. "God, if you don't want anything bad to happen, then I suggest you keep your mouth shut," Lauren suggested in annoyance.

On one of the hottest days of the summer, Camila thought it would be a grand idea to go to an amusement park. There were absolutely no good amusement parks in Miami, so wherever they went, they'd have to do quite a bit of driving. Their choices were between Busch Gardens and Islands of Adventure, but Busch Gardens sounded a bit more appealing. Camila, Dinah, Ally, Normani, and Lauren were all willing to sacrifice collectively eight hours or so of their day for travel. It was already getting tedious and they'd just gotten in the car.

Camila was cautious the entire time Lauren was the designated driver. So, Lauren pretty much had to deal with Camila screeching at her every few seconds. Not even a quarter of the way there, Lauren gave up and just asked Normani to drive. Why Camila was so protective over Lauren versus everyone else, nobody knew. But she was quiet the entire time everyone else was driving.