Chapter 31

"Lauren!!!" Camila called out from Ally's back porch.

Lauren was inside, reading a book on Ally's couch. She, Dinah, Normani, and Camila were all huddled up at Ally's house on one of the hottest days of the summer thus far. Why her friends thought it would be a good idea to spend it outside, Lauren had no idea. She was content with reading in Ally's nice air conditioned home. Everything about her living room was soothing and she'd finally found her peace after goofing it up with her favorite idiots for a couple of hours.

"What?" Lauren called back to her girlfriend.

"Can you come out here for a second?" Camila asked sweetly.

Lauren craned her neck to hopefully see her though the sliding glass door, but only saw the deck and field of green Ally called her backyard. She sighed and begrudgingly placed the bookmark in the page before closing it. Before exiting, she placed her copy of Humans of New York on the coffee table. The book was a random gift Camila had purchased for her, knowing about her obsession with the page on tumblr. Since she'd obtained it, it hadn't been put down. Except for now. When she slid the door open and didn't see Camila initially, she got a little weary.

"Babe?" Lauren prompted, wondering where Camila had gone that quickly.

"Oh, hi," Camila greeted her as she appeared from against the wall. Her hands were stashed behind her back, gripping some item.

"What's behind your back?" Lauren asked as she leaned over to try and see, only to have Camila step back.

"Your worst nightmare..." Camila said as she revealed her water gun and aimed it at Lauren's chest. She pulled the trigger and prepared to see Lauren get soaked, only to find a spritz of water to drip out of the nozzle.

Her face fell and she looked at her faulty water gun sideways, wondering what had gone wrong. She found out when she looked at the wet spot behind her where the water had obviously leaked out. The top was broken apparently, and now all of her ammo was gone. It was on the back of her shorts as well. Now she looked like she had peed on herself.

Camila laughed nervously and backed away slowly, holding her hands out in defense. "Um... Nevermind."

"Wow, Mila... You ruin everything," Dinah deadpanned as she came out of hiding, revealing herself from behind one of the lounge chairs.

"Nice going, Camila," Normani groaned as well, making herself visible from her crouched position under the table.

"It wasn't her fault. I told you the one you grabbed was broken, Mila," Ally shook her head as she stood up straight, taking hiding behind the potted plant - since she was small enough to hide there.

"I need some new friends," Lauren announced to no one in particular when she realized what their foiled plan was. They were planning a sneak attack, until Camila ruined it.

"Yeah, just like we need a new teammate," Normani laughed and gestured towards Camila with her water gun.

"Who even let her lead this operation?" Dinah crossed her arms.

"Lauren is her girlfriend... She wouldn't have beat her up as bad," Normani reasoned with a shrug, opting to just stand there with her loaded water gun - seeing no use in using it on anyone now.

"Exactly," Ally agreed, holding up her hand for a high five. "Great minds think alike."

"What are you trying to say?" Dinah challenged, glaring at the apparent dynamic duo.

"Still here," Lauren reminded them. "And now that I see you guys didn't actually want anything... I'm leaving," she announced and turned around on her heel in the same instant. Before she could flee the scene, she felt water shoot against the center of her back.