[Chapter 1]

The view was absolutely stunning. 

You stared up at the beautiful night sky, practically painted with stars. Then out into the city where you could see the blurred lights of buildings and houses in the midst, from the large, ceiling-to-floor windows at the airport you were at. 

Outside, it seemed like the city was the same as the sky, but with bigger stars. The sound of cars honking on the streets and the soft sound of rain pattering on the glass gave you slight nostalgia.

You felt a gentle hand on your shoulder, and you looked beside you to see your mother. She was just a little taller than you. She looked solemn as she turned back around to face the near-empty boarding area. There were only a few others waiting to board the plane.

Your eyes trailed along the seats to see a man. Probably in his mid-thirties, with a black travel backpack and a small, brown briefcase. He had dark hair and dark clothes. And an expression of boredom. 

Nearby, there was a woman and a young child, who was bawling. You could make out something along the lines of "chocolate" and "candy" coming from the child. And then there was his mom; dark eye bags, a slightly messy bun, and loads of luggage. Her hair was the same color, but with multiple white strands protruding from the roots. She looked exhausted.

Behind her, a couple of rows down was another family. A big family, actually. But it didn't seem like they were going to Tokyo for a good reason, which you could tell from their grave expressions. You frowned.

Finally, just a few rows from where you stood, there was a group of teenagers. They were loud, taking pictures already, although none of you had even boarded the plane yet. The group consisted of eight to ten boys and an equal amount of girls. You watched a girl, around your age, stand at the very edge of all the commotion, quietly watching the rest. Her dull grey eyes showed no emotion. Almost sadness, even.

For a brief moment, the two of you made eye contact. You smiled. She didn't.

Turning to your mother, you observed the light wrinkles near her eyes and forehead. Her S/C skin, and her H/C hair. Which had a few strands of white hair mixed in. But despite her slight agedness, she was still young and lively.

Your eyes then shifted to your father, taller and bigger than your mother. He ran a hand through his H/C hair, which had more white strands than your mother did. He gave you a thumbs up and smiled briefly.

In a couple of minutes, your family would leave the airport. Then leave the United States and go to a totally different country. Your father had gotten a major promotion, forcing your family to move to his company's headquarters in Tokyo.

You'd be leaving your home. You'd be leaving your childhood friends and others behind. You'd be leaving behind your high school too, with all your classmates and kind teachers. And your best, best friend; the boy you loved.

You had researched a little about Japan beforehand but didn't have a clue bout which school you'd be attending. You knew you'd probably have to wear a uniform to school and that it'd be hard to make new friends. On the bright side, the day you'd arrive would be the first day of school in Japan, so you'd probably meet many other new students as well.

You sat down in your seat as your sister came to you. Crying, she ran past your father and mother, right into your arms. But they didn't seem to care and kind of ignored her presence.

Your parents were busy people... your father being an important businessman and your mother, a corporate lawyer. Often, they'd work overnight and you'd care for your sister, making her dependent on you.

And although your parents made much money, it wasn't the wealth you yearned for, but rather a parent's warmth. They were a bit cold towards your younger sister and you. But they were still a bit kind, smiling at the two of you once in a while, and leaving gifts.