[Chapter 9]

▨ ▨ ▨

After a while of watching Cho-Hee, whose other teammates had poured into the field and began practicing with her, your attention moved somewhere else. You leaned back in your seat and put your hands behind your head. Staring up at the gloomy clouds.

It was a nebulous mix of bluish-grey tints and looked absolutely ethereal. But still depressing. A drop of rain fell on your face and rolled down your cheek. If someone looked at your right now, it would've looked like you were crying.

You thought about your home; Your real home. Not the one here. You thought about your neighbors, friends, and teachers. Your doctor, dentist, and everyone else you knew well. Everything down to the smallest details, like your room, which had been filled with precious items and memories.

You felt your eyes get a little watery as you thought about your dog/cat. And his/her soft fur, their gentle touch as they'd nudge you. When they used to follow you around wherever you went, comfort you when you felt down. You remembered small moments of when you'd slip food under the table to them. Or that one time when he/she managed to get up onto the counter and steal a piece of food.

You lightly laughed, but as you did, a tear actually came out. The sounds of screaming, shouting, and cheering had been blurred away from your mind as you stared up into the indefinite atmosphere. And that's when a small, barely notable sound snapped you from your thoughts.

You could make out a weak "meow" in the distance, but you couldn't tell where it was coming from.

"What happened?" Chiyo asked you as you began looking around. She raised her eyebrows.

"Oh, I uh," you tried thinking of something, "I lost my pen."

"Oh, okay. So you need any help?"

"Ah, it's okay. It's no big deal, really."

You stood up and stepped down from the bleachers, following the sound. When you walked too far in a certain direction, the sound would soften, but when you walked closer, it'd get louder. You used this method to find the source of the sound.

This continued until you wandered near the edge of the athletics grounds. A little far from the baseball fields and outdoor tennis courts. You were at the edge of a broken fence, near the road, where you saw something disturbing. You could feel your stomach sink at the sight of an injured and bleeding black cat. One of its back legs was pinned down to the ground with a stake, and it must've been recent too, judging from the wounds.

Who could do such a thing? Was it one of the students here? You had already seen up-close how brutal some of the students could be, but this was beyond anything you could've imagined. You understood when Akito had told you that self-defense would be a good tool at this school.