[Chapter 7]

▨ ▨ ▨

The next morning, you met up with Chiyo at the bus stop, this time walking to school with her to assure her safety. 

"Y/N, you really don't have to," she told you, worried. But you insisted. 

"Friends normally walk to school together," you replied with a bright smile. "Anyway, where's Cho-Hee?"

"Oh, she left early this morning," Chiyo told you, as the school came into view. "Baseball tryouts are soon, so she's started going out to the fields every morning at 7:00 am."

You mouthed an "ooh" and nodded your head. You had forgotten to ask Cho-Hee about the whole Hall-of-Fame thing and again mentally reminded yourself to congratulate her. 

"Isn't it like freezing cold in the morning?" You asked Chiyo, concerned. "It's 8:15 right now, so we have little time. But let's stop by the vending machines and get some warm drinks for her."

You recalled the coffee vending machines around the entrance of the school and some near the cafeteria. Japan was truly amazing, having so many vending machines and items. There was even a vending machine for hot ramen. How cool was that?

Chiyo smiled and nodded, and the two of you started walking towards the school. She walked ahead of you since you didn't know the way there until she broke out in a run. "I'll race you there!" She screamed from ahead. 

"H-hey!"

You began running after her, and the two of you laughed and shouted. But Chiyo wasn't paying attention and ended up bumping into someone else. 

A yellow-blonde, medium-tall, girl with light-pink lip tint. She let out a short, but high-pitched yelp, and froze.

You could feel your heart sink at the familiar sight, and you instinctively pushed Chiyo behind you. You felt her body become paralyzed in fear as she realized who she had bumped into.

'Sara...'

"Y-Y/N," Chiyo weakly called out your name. You didn't, and couldn't possibly comprehend what she had gone through in the past couple of years. In fact, whatever you had witnessed the other day was nothing compared to her other events with Sara. 

The blonde-haired girl recognized the two of you immediately and smirked. Putting a hand on her hip, she slowly approached you like a shark approaching its prey. But you stood your ground, unwavering, which just seemed to amuse her. 

"Omae... (you)" she came up in your face, mere centimeters away. You could smell something sweet on her breath. "Watch where you're going, you piece of shit." But you remained expressionless; perhaps even slightly angry, which just seemed to aggravate her. She noticed the small, brown-haired girl standing behind you. 

"You, ugly girl" she reached out her hand to grab the girl, but again, you stopped her. 

"Sara," you said her name, exhaling. You turned your full attention to her, your E/C eyes drilling holes into her face. Without thinking, you replied, "maybe you should eat makeup so you could at least try to be pretty on the inside."

She blinked, trying to comprehend what you had just said, before grabbing your hair and pulling you forward. Instinctively, your hands shot up to hers to try to remove her grasp. When you changed your mind and kicked her square in the abdomen. 

'"I'm on the swim team. What about you? You play any sports?"

You shook your head, laughing. "I did Taekwondo for a few years when I was younger, and that's about it."

He smiled. "Do you still remember much?" He asked while getting back into the water.

"A bit," you replied, "why?"

"You'll need it at this school. Trust me."'

Almost immediately, her grip loosened and she let out a yelp of pain. Apparently, your counterattack had turned out stronger than expected, and your eyes widened. But before things got worse, an arm snaked around your waist and pulled you back. The sudden tug made you feel weightless from how swiftly it moved. The back of your body bumped into a tall, and sturdy figure, and the clutch held your body close.

Sara's friends fled the scene, and after a moment of regaining her stance, Sara looked up to see who had stopped you. Her eyes met sharp, amber orbs, and she cowered away in fear before running off. Chiyo simply stood there, still a little shocked.

"You may leave," a deep voice ordered. His voice held so much power and authority, it made you feel weak. 

From her reflection in a window, you saw Chiyo vigorously nod her head, gather her items, and walk to class. But not before shooting you an apologetic look where your eyes met her glossy, hazel ones. 

Your heart beat rapidly, and your breaths were quick too. The grip around your waist tightened for a moment, before letting go. 

You slowly turned around to see a male, with slightly fluffy, blood-red hair, thin, piercing amber eyes, and pale skin. He was tall. Actually, a lot taller than you, and, judging from the recent events, seemed to be much stronger than he appeared. 

His clothing consisted mostly of dark colors, like black, red, and maroon. A chain necklace highlighted his appearance. 

He folded his arms, and stepped closer to you, as you stepped back. And then he came closer, and closer until your back was against the wall. He leaned down until his height reached just an inch or two above yours.

"Who are you?" He demanded to know. He squinted his eyes.

"Y/N," you replied, your gaze fluttering down to the ground. "Y/N L/N." But you remained a little unfazed, which seemed to slightly baffle him. 

"You have detention with me after school, L/N," he told you conclusively, stepping away. Your gaze finally shot up to him, into his daunting gaze. But his voice softened as he said your name. 

After a moment of silence, he backed away and began walking to class. That's when you realized that he must've been one of your professors. Honestly, you weren't surprised at this point, but the thought of having detention after school, on your very first day made you depressed. It wasn't even your fault! But you couldn't argue.

Stepping into your math class, the red-haired male stood at the front of the class. Which was surprisingly empty at the moment, leaving just the two of you. You quietly walked over to a desk and sat down. When an "ahem" caught your attention. You looked up, to see the adult male leaning against his desk, gazing at you. The atmosphere wasn't as intimidating as before. 

"My name is Jae-Hyun." He told you. "You'll be sorting files for me after school today. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two, depending on how much effort you're willing to put in."

Your gaze faltered, going from amiable and curious, to just disappointed. He seemed to notice and he spoke again. 

"Y/N?" He called your first name. His tone sounded much different now. "I heard your comeback. It was neat." He smirked as he told you, earning a small smile from you.