[Chapter 8]

▨ ▨ ▨

An "ahem" caught your attention. You looked up, to see the adult male leaning against his desk, gazing at you. The atmosphere wasn't as intimidating as before.

"My name is Jae-Hyun." He told you. "You'll be sorting files for me after school today. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two, depending on how much effort you're willing to put in."

Your gaze faltered, going from amiable and curious, to just disappointed. He seemed to notice and he spoke again.

"Y/N?" He called your name. His tone sounded much different now. "I heard your comeback. It was neat." He smirked as he told you, earning a small smile that made his day.

He gazed into your eyes, as you stared into his. The sound of doors opening tore you from your gaze, and you turned to see students pour in. Among them was Chiyo, which immediately gave you a feeling of solace.

"You're in this class?" You asked, realizing how thankful you were.

"I take AP Calc BC and AP Biology," she told you, setting down a stack of books and journals. "Although they're senior-level classes."

You opened your mouth in amazement. Chiyo was pretty damn talented, and you were proud to be her friend. You smiled warmly and pat her on the back. The two of you sat down in the class's front and turned your attention back to Jae-Hyun. His gaze still lingered on you until a "sir" snapped him out of his trance.

He "ahemed" to get everyone's attention, and crossed his arms, leaning against his desk. "Good morning." He began. "As you all know, I'll be your mathematics teacher. You may address me as Professor Choi."

"Can we call you Professor Hyun~?" A girl suggestively asked from the back of the class, twirling a lock of dark brown hair. All the other girls around her started giggling. But his cold, stern expression never faltered.

"No," he replied directly. His voice had gotten deeper, and he drew out every word slowly. The look he gave her was intimidating. "Moving on, let me inform you of my expectations."

He walked back around his desk, running his sleek hand across the glass surface. Then he turned back to the rest of the class, his eyes scanning students row by row. The gaze in his eyes was unapproachable, sending chills down the backs of many students. The look he had was different from his smirk from before.

"This class is quite difficult. If you fall behind, do not expect me to slow down and repeat myself," he told everyone, his voice, thunderous. "The thing I detest most are failures. Inevitably, everyone here will struggle; perhaps even fail.

If I see the slightest, that you are unfit for this course, you will be removed." He leaned forward, the tension growing. "So please, do your very best to keep up."