New Home

By the time Tommy woke next he was surrounded by obsidian walls. Twice the height of the one that was built in L'Manberg, blocking out the view. Only the sunlight above them could be seen. There were no holes or bars to look through. Just a solid barrier between him and the rest of the world.

Not that the space inside the perimeter was small. Far from it actually. The entire mountain top had been enclosed in the time Tommy had slept. Two peaks offered a small vantage point. Neither higher than the barrier.

Still it was a lot to take in when he had been so delirious before. His aching body protested every minor movement, but Tommy had yet to spot Dream. Surely the man wouldn't have left him so soon. The place wasn't even torched. Mobs would spawn in the night and easily kill Tommy in his state.

"So you're finally up," came a voice from behind.

Yelping Tommy couldn't even twist to look back. And he tried, he genuinely tried to turn and snap in that direction.

"Not even going to look at me," the voice was irritated, and held a fatal heat within it. "I almost thought you were dead. And now you won't even let me see that you're okay?"

"That's not, I-" Tommy painfully forced himself to flop on the stone ground, rolling slowly just so he could get a look at who he knew had to be speaking. No one else had followed. "It hurts."

"What hurts, Toms?"

Dream.

That nickname was always used with such a sickening voice. Almost mocking in the way it spun words of concern from the very man who inflicted the reason for those concerns.

"Tommy, are you all there yet?" Dream poked his cheek as he kneel in front of him. "Hmm? If you stay like this you might really die."

"Please," Tommy was happy at the prospect of death.

It was cruel and twisted that it filled him with so much comfort, so much hope. But Dream didn't seem to understand. Why didn't he understand?!

"Don't worry, I still have a healing potion that should be enough to keep you going," Dream cooed.

He shuffled through his satchel and brought out a radiant magenta bottle. Uncorking the top and forcing Tommy to down it all in one go.

"No, stop," Tommy tried to protest.

"Don't struggle, you'll only make this harder, Toms. I'm going to fix this, remember. I told you while we were in the Nether how I was going to fix you," Dream didn't hold him gently. He never did. It was always too strong, firm where it should be loose. Never lasting long. Not even now, as he all but dropped Tommy after making sure not a drop was left in the potion. "I'm going to solve all of your problems, Toms. And if you're good, maybe you can go back to L'Manberg. But you have to listen to me."

Tommy whined at the thought of ever seeing anyone besides Dream. He doesn't know how'd he'd feel if he saw Tubbo, Fundy, Quakity, or... or Philza.

"You can rest for a few more minutes so that the potion has time to set in, but then we have to get you settled," Dream stated. "There's a lot of work that needs to be done. I'm even considering putting a portal along the wall, maybe a gate. For now though I want you to start a farm. Nothing too big, just enough for you to get by. And if it's good, I'll consider building you a real shelter instead of leaving you to do it yourself."

"..."

"You can have these, for now at least," Dream dropped a wooden hoe and water bucket besides Tommy. "I'll give you seeds once I've checked your work. You have two minutes, Tommy. That's all the time I can let you rest."