Chapter 9: Visit

When Dream first disappeared people wondered where he could've gone. How could no one find him? He was gone for weeks. His allies worried, and his enemies grew. Why wouldn't they? They needed every last person and resource they could get. If Dream just went missing, finding Tommy had to be their mission. Because Tommy was still out there.

He had to be.

Or none of this would have been worth it.

So when Dream returns with rags resembling Tommy's old red and white t-shirt, hope and fear spreads like wildfire. Fights become less frequent, because Dream knows them. He knows all he has to do is remind them Tommy's still alive, he's still out there.

Waiting.

Alone.

They tried to keep tabs on him. Setting up constant teams to track his every move. Once they realized he was paying special visits to Tommy. Disappearing for weeks at a time. Slowly a pattern formed one they could plan for. Dream would stick around for about a month before disappearing for a few weeks returning with something of Tommy's.

Tubbo sets up watches, yet somehow Dream always finds a way to slither past them. Even Technoblade can't track him. The furthest anyone got was in the Nether, days away from the hub. Even then the route was a maze and seemingly random as they circled in almost every direction and kept coming back to the same structures.

It was infuriating.

And once again he had disappeared. Tommy would face the bastard alone yet again. Though not quite the same.

"Here, these are for you," Dream tossed over some new clothing.

"..."

"Aren't you forgetting something, Toms?"

"Thank you."

"Good. I know it means a lot considering this is your third set. Aren't you grateful?"

"Yes, Dream."

"Yes what?"

"Yes, I-I appreciate having new clothes. I'm, fucking hell, why should I be grateful!?"

"Tommy."

"I, I'm not sorry. Torture me again. It won't change anything."

"Then I'll stay until you learn."

"You're a fucking psycho... I, I don't want to stay here."

"What you want doesn't matter, Tommy. I've told you that before. Can't you just listen? If you really want to get out of here you'd obey. And I'd have to let you go."

"You're..."

"I'm what?"

"Nevermind. It's not worth saying."

"Then you shouldn't have started. You have to finish what you start."

"..."

"You know what, put everything in the pit."

"No, I'm sorry. Please."

"In the pit, now."

"Please."

"You should have listened, now I'll have to make you. Why can't you do anything right?"

"I don't know."

"Shut up!"

"..."

"In the pit."

Soundlessly Tommy dropped the items but didn't step back. Maybe he was hoping Dream would shove him in as he leaned forward slightly. Instead the man placed the explosives and yanked him back. Likely rolling his eyes under the mask as he lit it.

Tommy flinched.

"Are you still such a kid you can't stand a little explosion?" Dream mocked.

"I'm sorry."

"Go change, and write on this," Dream tossed him a single paper. "Don't write anything inappropriate."

Quietly breathing to himself Tommy waited for Dream to mine through the walls and disappear. Alone at last. Tommy looked at the plain outfit with boredom. A plain red top and pocketless jeans. What was he, a girl? Now he was supposed to what? Write a letter? Like that really mattered. What was he even going to write? Who was this for? Does that even matter. Wouldn't Dream have told him if it did?

"Hmm?"

Scribbling a bit, Tommy wished he had an eraser. He just fucking doodled when he was told to write. Maybe he could work that in somehow. Make it work. Like connect the dots. Or maybe not.

"I told you to write, Toms? Are you literate as well?" Dream growled, snatching the papers from his hands. "Of course you must be. I really have to teach you everything, don't I?"

"Sorry."

"And?"

"And, I-I, what am I supposed to say?" Tommy snapped.

"Toms."

"I'm sorry. Please, I'm so sorry, I...I apologize."

"Better," Dream tilted his head. "Now you should show your gratitude at my offer to teach you something of value. And for even considering it. That will be my time and my effort that I have to waste teaching you the basics, Toms. Remember what I said?"

"Be grateful. I'm not even worth keeping around, so when someone does anything for me I should know how much they are really giving up to waste helping me."

"That's right," Dream reached out to pat Tommy's head, noticing the boy tense. "You have more to say don't you?"

"Yes...I, thank, I appreciate what you've done for me, Dream. You keep me alive and you're teaching me, you're teaching me important lessons."

"And?"

"Thank you."

"We'll start the next time I come to visit. For now I want to check your storage before I go."

"You're leaving?"

"Tommy."

"I'm sorry."

"You have enough. I have to get back now. Behave yourself while I'm gone Toms. I don't want a repeat of my first visit."

"Yes, Dream."

"Good. Later."