Epilogue

Germany closed the file, then heaved a deep sigh. He hadn't looked through these war documents and quotes in years. And maybe that was for the best. Each paper he had read felt like an essay that dragged on, twisting a knife in his heart. Ever since that. He had something to prove. That although Reich was his sister, he was nothing like her, not many countries ever saw him the same out of that. Even his neighbour Poland. Especially him. Poland seemed to object to everything he claimed in his new EU alliance. It's not as if he blamed him for it. He respected and even, in his lowest moments, supported how Poland felt towards him. Only one country ever seemed to understand everything they did.

"Allemagne?" Germany instantly seemed to feel warm inside. Speak of the angel and she shall appear. He turned around and smiled at the sight of France. Although she took the hardest hit in the war in his opinion, she never seemed to blame him for a moment. Even in the following years in which he was split in two in the cold war, she always showed sympathy. He never felt happier when with her. However, his warm glow in his chest slowly whittled away when he saw France's face drop. Her eyes resting on the documents. "Allemagne..." she sighed, sitting beside him. "I told you to stop doing this to yourself... That happened years ago..." France insisted, then chuckled with a sad smile. "God knows the things I've done are just as bad..." Germany sighed and shook his head. "I know." he said with a bold tone, then realised that he may have sounded too harsh. He paused, then started again, softer. "I know... But... I..." He had no reply for her. France let out a sigh and wrapped one arm around him. Germany's face started to glow with heat as he glanced at her.

France looked deep into his yellow eyes, her dark blue eyes were like deep oceans as he stared into them. "We don't blame you. I don't blame you. I never would..." She assured, she hugged him close in a tight, yet comforting embrace. Germany seemed to feel his anxieties melt away. He gently smiled. "That's enough for me..." he mumbled as he held her closer. France beamed brightly. She stepped away. "Come. The EU memorial's in 5 minutes." She declared leading him away from the desk. Away from the folders that caused so many painful stories from him. As he followed, he stopped at the doorway and looked back at the folders with a final goodbye.

"...Lest we forget."