Chapter 2

I hit the ground so hard I collapse onto my knees, scrapping them against the concrete I landed on. I'm out of breath, on my hands and knees. Why am I on a sidewalk? I look up and find myself no longer in my apartment. I am out in the dark night. Under the streetlights, many people are looking over at me, then continuing to walk. I blink multiple times, trying to focus from the fall. Did that guy have a tail? No, my vision is just blurry and trying to go back to normal. I shake my head and look again.

A tall woman that is walking in the opposite direction definitely has horns on her head. They're large and pointy. I obviously hit my head and now the shadows are playing tricks on me.

I look up at the sky that shines with more stars than I have ever seen before. I am dreaming... Right?

Even in the dark I can tell there's a town around me. A clock tower so bright and big is all the way on the other side. Based on the open signs and some of the items in the windows, it looks like there are some small shops all around. Where the hell am I? I don't think I have been here before. Even if I had, how did I get here?

Whatever brought me here brought the annoying necklace, and it's box with me. It's flipped upside down. All the papers have fallen out of the folder and have scattered in front of me. I quickly start to collect everything.

"Here let me help you." A young girl with peach hair runs up to me and helps collect the papers that spilled out of the folder. The street light above shines on us like a spotlight for everyone to see.

"Thanks." I mumble.

"The transport can be a little difficult, you're going to have to be careful next-" She looks up at me for the first time and her eyes wide, she cuts her sentence short. "Oh, my god... Are you human?"

I stare at her. How hard did I hit my head? There is no way I heard her correctly.

Then we both hear people yelling down the road, "Everyone inside immediately!"

The random girl and I both look in the direction. Three large men with flashlights are running in our direction.

A panic face appears on her face and she quickly collects everything faster. "Take my jacket, put up the hood!" She quickly takes off her pink hoodie and drapes it over my shoulders.

"What's going on?" I say, confused. Is she some sort of criminal running from these men?

"We have to go! Come with me." She replies, handing me the box with everything back inside. The girl quickly grabs my wrist and guides me to the side of an enormous building. "Come with me, keep your head down." She says, opening a side door and letting me inside. We step into a hallway full of doors. Is this a college dorm? People come in and out of the rooms, at least some look like people. I wait for the girl who is peeking out of the side door.

"I don't think they saw you." She shuts the door and leads to me some steps off of the hallway. The more people I see, the lower my head gets. I don't know why I need to have my head down, but I am just listening.

We go up at least two flights before entering another hallway. We take a left turn, and she leads me to what I would assume to be her room. She pushes me inside and locks at the door behind her.

With her back turned, I see the clear wings extending out of her back. I gulp and try to stay content, but my body is shaking uncontrollably. This has to be some sort of dream. Fairies are not real.

The girl turns around, facing me again, and sees my panic. "Please don't scream! Here, take some water." She reaches into her mini fridge and pulls out a water bottle. She keeps her distance but leans over to hand it to me. I drop the box on the ground and take it from her.