Chapter 1

I stumble to my apartment building's front door. My feet are sore with blisters, my hands red with burn marks, and I am ready to shower away the disturbing words plastered onto my body by the men from my job.

Up a few awful flights of stairs and down the hall filled with old wallpaper from what seems to be used in the nineteen centuries is my room. A box lays at the bottom of the door. I don't remember buying anything recently? I barely have the money to buy groceries right now. Yet, my name is on the package.

I lazily grab the box and step into my apartment. I toss the box onto my counter and immediately head for the shower. I'll open the package later.

Every night after my shift, I always take a shower. Part of me thinks it'll wash away the stains of the men who think it's okay to touch me while I work. The lovely perks of being a server.

I shower until I am satisfied and change into a comfy shirt and sweatpants. Walking back into my living room, that box gets my attention. I grab the random package and bring it over to my little desk in the corner. The desk is a complete mess. It is covered in papers that I have to shove to the side to make room. Most of them are failed fashion designs. I really need to clean it, to be honest.

I easily rip off the tape and open the box. Tucking the now opened flaps of the box to the sides, I pull the package closer and peak inside. There isn't much inside besides a folder, an envelope and maybe some clothes folded at the bottom. I can't tell yet.

My grandma is known for buying me random things and sending them over to me. Maybe this is one of them?

I grab the folder and the envelope first and push the box away. I set down the folder and rip open the envelope first. Inside is a printed out letter.

This is an acknowledgment of your application to Willows Forest College of Fantasy. We have reviewed your application and are pleased to announce your acceptance! We are so excited for you to join our community this upcoming semester!

Welcome to our campus. We look forward to having you.

Sincerely,

Willows Forest Administration.

What the hell? I've been trying to get into Kent State university for two months now and have heard nothing! I've heard their fashion program is great, and that is what I want to pursue. Student loans would be my only issue but if it meant getting my Bachelors in Fine Arts, then I would take the risk.

I didn't apply anywhere else, so what is this place?

I drop everything and stand up. My laptop is in my bedroom, I can look it up. In my room, I sit at my vanity and open up my laptop. My ocean background pops up on the screen and asks for my password. I wish I was at the ocean right now instead of stuck in my boring apartment all the time.

I live in my apartment alone, it's only supposed to be temporary until I get into college and get a dorm room. So far temporary is becoming a lot longer than I thought.

I unlock my computer and quickly get to searching this place up. I type in the college name. Clicking enter, nothing of the name comes up. Only anything similar and most of them only have Willow in them. I try other names.

Willow University

Willow College

College of Fantasy

Nothing.

Where the hell is this place? I need to check that letter again, or see what's in that folder or the rest of the box in general.

What does it matter? They must have sent it to the wrong person, anyway. The letter didn't have my name on it after all. In Fact it wasn't written to anyone, actually.

Besides, I never sent an application to this nonexistent place. Then again, how do you mess up an apartment address? I'm so lost, my mind is spinning as if I'm on a fair ride.

I rub my forehead out of frustration, or maybe confusion? I don't know. I stomp my way back to the living room and grab the plain gray folder. Inside is just a packet of guidelines, information on dorms and the university. "Ugh!" I toss the folder on to the desk. What am I doing? There was obviously a mistake. I just need to pack this back up and send it back. I flip up one of the boxes' flaps and of course there is no return address. Whatever, I'll just have to throw it out later. Sorry to whoever this is meant for.

I pack everything I took out back into the box and toss it by the door. That way I'll remember to take it out. I need to sleep, honestly. I had an awful and exhausting shift today and sleeping will make me forget everything.

I begin to do my nightly routine, which comprises brushing my teeth and then burying myself in my blankets.

Something dings from inside my apartment and I snap my head towards my door. Is my phone notifications on? Usually I leave it on mute or vibrate. It continues on, in a simple pattern, almost like a phone ringing on vibrate. My phone is on my nightstand, and it's turned off. No one calls me ever, so I know it's not that. Then what is making that noise? I tighten my ponytail and swing my legs off the bed. From here by my door, it sounds like it's coming from the front room.

I stop to listen to the ongoing sound, it's some sort of muffled noise. Maybe someone in another apartment nearby? I open my door and lean outside. No. It's got to be in my apartment somewhere. I step back and watch as my door shuts slowly with a click. I look down to my right... the box.

I pull open the flaps once again and throw everything out this time. At the bottom is a shirt neatly folded. I hold it out in front of me to get a good look at it.. The shirt has a tree in the center as the university's name forms a circle around it. It's all printed in white on a dark purple shirt.

The noise starts up and catches my attention again. It is much louder now. I drop the shirt and reach to the bottom of the cardboard box. Something cold rubs against my fingers and I grasp it. I pull it out to find it's a very large jewel hanging on a chain. I've seen nothing like it. The jewel is a ruby red color, and it dings in my palm. It's pulsing with each noise. A white light forms in the center, then fades away before coming back to match with every hum.

I spin the necklace around. There's something engraved in the back. I squint my eyes to read the small writing.

Touch the center to transport.

What? I spin the necklace back to the front, the pulsing light still continuing. It's too shiny. My reflection looks back at me. I hold up my index finger and slowly bring it to the center of the jewel. I laugh at my ridiculousness when nothing happens. What was I expecting? This is all just foolishness.

My eyes wide when the humming stops and the white light in the center grows and engulfs around me. I scream out when the light takes me and suddenly I'm falling.