Chapter 23

Harmony and her crew strut towards us. Most of her group are other sirens, but her shifting friend is also here. "I was wondering when you were getting back, Brandon. I thought you and I could hang out again, maybe in my dorm. You know, like we used to."

My nose flares. She wants a reaction. I can't give it to her.

"That's in the past, Harmony." Brandon steps forward. "So no, I'll pass."

Harmony scuffs and flips her hair. "I know you're only saying that because your girlfriend is here. You'd be saying otherwise if she wasn't. She's pathetic if you ask me." Harmony doesn't look at me, she is pretending as if I am not here.

I put my foot down. "What the hell did you just say about me?" My blood boils. I have let Harmony have her ways and get away with whatever she wants. She has been walking all over me and I am sick. This is it. This past weekend was the last straw. I am completely over dealing with her.

Now Harmony looks at me, and I have to ball my hands into a fist to avoid trying to scratch her eyes out. "I said you're pathetic! You're the reason Brandon won't speak to me anymore. Toxic much?" She earns praise from her minions behind her, which makes her ego grow.

My claws dig further into my palms. "Maybe you two could be friends if you started thinking with your head instead of what is between your legs!" I spit back. No more holding back. No more letting her get away with anything. Brandon next to me coughs to cover his laugh. My friends backed me up, giving the same reaction as Harmony's group.

I see Harmony's anger rise. "Who do you even think you are! You show up this year and everyone just has to talk about you. Then you get Brandon wrapped around your finger so easily. Your roommate's a fairy. I wouldn't be surprised if she is behind this. A love potion or something." She keeps digging. I don't think she is used to someone who won't take her shit.

Melody speaks up. "Sure didn't! Hated Brandon at the time, actually."

"Which is true." Brandon adds, but takes no offense to it.

I release my hands from their first and force myself to relax. "I can't believe how childish you sound right now. My god Harmony is this high school? All you do is search for drama! Grow the fuck up. We're in college now! You are so captivated by the idea of being with someone who doesn't want you, you don't even realize the amount of people here who would love to have a chance to be with you. Harmony, you are a gorgeous woman, but no one wants a girl who is stuck in someone else. I'm sorry, Harmony, but you are making yourself look stupid. I think you came here to start a fight, and as much as I'd love to give it to you, I won't." It is the most mature thing I could have said. Now it is up to Harmony.

She stays quiet for a moment. The gym's pipes creak and pop in the ceiling. "You are such a dumb bitch, Rei. All of a sudden, you think you know everything. There is something odd about you. You're hiding something, I know it."

My heart skips a beat. I want to look at Melody with concern, but that will only make Harmony believe she is right. There's no way she could know. How could she? I have barely been around her, let alone talked about... being human.

Suddenly Harmony is reaching for my chest. "Such a pretty necklace, Rei. An important present from mommy, right?"

I dodge to the side before her fingers can grab my necklace. "Don't touch me." I spit. Why would she go for my necklace?

Harmony laughs and she has this face... a face that makes it out like she is on to me. My arm hair stands up and chills surface all over me. "Fine. I don't want to touch a whore like you, anyway!"

"That's it!" I am ready to pounce. I gave her the benefit of the doubt. I tried to be nice about it, but she just doesn't listen. Better yet, she doesn't care. I take back everything I said before; I am totally going to fight her.