Chapter 27

That night, I found myself in front of Dante and Axel's dorm room, shivering and drenched. Water droplets splashed onto the floor at my feet.

"Rei?" Dante had opened the door, shocked not only because I was there, but because I was also soaked.

"I didn't know who else to go to."

I don't know why I didn't go back to my dorm that night. I guess my instinct was to see Dante. He has a comforting vibe to him and he always knows how to be there for me, even if he is an introvert.

I cried for hours laying in Dante's lap. No one asked me questions, they all knew. Dante ran his fingers lightly through my hair the entire time. Eventually I fell asleep.

The following days, I explained what had happened while continuing to drown in my own tears. I took that next week of school off. Not only was I still drained from waking out of a coma, but I knew the news would be spewing through the school halls. By Tuesday Melody said almost everyone knew and I wasn't surprised.

I stared at the wall for most of the days or old photos I found on my phone. It's not healthy, and I knew that, but I had never gone through a breakup. They suck just like everyone says. I wish I saw it coming. I wish I was more prepared. Should I have tried harder that night? Maybe I should have run after him, tried harder to make him stay.

Now Melody and I walk back into our dorm with way too many bags. She and I went on a mall trip. Melody basically forced me out of bed this morning, and I am glad she did. It was nice getting out of the dorm and also forgetting about Brandon. Even if it was just for a few hours.

I have decided with a lot of convincing from Melody that it is time to head back to school. Do I want to go back to school, especially my first class? Absolutely not. But do I also want to sit around my dorm crying rivers? No. I need to get out, catch up on my classes and deal with life. Everyone goes through break ups and they bounce back. I just haven't found the pep in my step yet.

"Okay, I have had this planned since you picked it out!" Melody rummages through both of our bags and pulls out the matching tops we bought together. They are off the shoulder crop tops. I got the burgundy color, and she bought the red. "These tomorrow, matching black jeans. You and I will be the talk of the school in these outfits." She holds out my shirt to me. I take it and run my fingers over the soft fabric. I don't want to be talked about anymore than I already am.

"Fine." I sigh, "But I am wearing a hat." I don't tell her, but if I at least have a hat, I can hide my face. If I am for sure going back, I want to unseen as much as possible. That way, they don't see me and I don't see their faces when they notice I am back.

Melody claps her hands in joy and hovers in the air.

The next morning, she and I matched just as planned. I tug at the bottom of the shirt in hopes of making it longer, but it stays put. It lays just above my belly button but if I pull my pants up it helps cover more. The fabric is cotton and supposed to stretch, yet somehow it feels glued to my body.

Melody comes back into the room with two coffees. She's wearing her red top and black jeans. Only difference is my jeans have holes in them. Her hair is a pin straight waterfall down her back and as always, her makeup looks flawless on her glittering skin.

"I brought you coffee." She hands me the warm cup.

I give her a suspicious look. Last time she brought me coffee it was laced with confidence magic. "There better not be a confidence shot in this again."

Melody laughs, "Not today. I thought you could use some positivity." Melody places her cup down and walks in front of me. "Let me help you." She grabs my makeup bag next to me and has me close my eyes. After a few quick strokes, she gives me winged eyeliner. "I always thought eyeliner makes your eyes pop."