Chapter 28

I hold the top of the dress over my chest while Melody zips up the back for me. Once she fully zips it, she adjusts the skirt and my tail, then smooths it out. "Alright, let's see!" Melody says, turning my shoulders.

I face her and tuck my hands behind my back.

After class yesterday, Melody and I went out to a few dress shops. Melody could barely make a decision. Every place we went to, she brought about seven or eight dresses into her dressing room. After three stores, many hours and millions of dresses later, she settled for the "perfect" dress for her.

She didn't think she would like a silver dress, but she was wrong. The dress is perfect for her. Her favorite part is that it's a two piece, and she's all for showing off her belly button piercing.

"It's perfect Rei! How do you feel?" Melody snaps me from my thoughts.

I look into the mirror and run my hands over the beaded lace on my chest. I like the dress. My father used to say cobalt was my color, but how can I feel comfortable in my own skin knowing where I am going? Just one more thing for people to talk about. Rei, the broken-hearted, shows up to the party alone. Harmony is going to have a field day.

Melody grabs my bare shoulders and twists around my side. "Hey... don't think about it. Take tonight to forget everything and have a little fun." She moves in front of the mirror so I can't judge myself anymore than I already have. "You look amazing, Rei. Seriously, you do."

I purse my lips, "You do too Melody." Her dress has a high neckline and I am curious if it itches because my skin for sure could not handle that. That's why I went with the strapless, I just think it makes my breast more visible than I wish.

Melody and I finish a few touch ups and put on our heels. Not too much longer and Axel is knocking on the door. "Good evening, ladies." Axel holds his head high with confidence. He's been overwhelmed with excitement about tomorrow, but now he is ready to have this dance with Melody.

Axel brings his hands forward to us, holding two different yet beautiful corsages. One matches my dress, and the other matches both of them. "Axel, you didn't have to get me one." I delicately lift the corsage from his hand. He did well picking it out, though. I would assume Melody helped. The flower is blue and the ribbons are a sparkly gold.

Maybe the night won't be too bad after all.

When we arrive at the dedicated area the school rented out for this party, it is a lot more formal than Melody made it out to be. They take our names inside the main lobby before allowing us in.

Two men in suits hold the door knobs that lead to our party. They open the doors for Melody and Axel, but shut them before I can get through. "Wait, I'm with them!"

I hear the clapping as someone announces Axel as the finalist and how Melody is his date tonight. A line is forming behind me and I am ready to dip. It's a sign. Melody and Axel are already inside. I showed up for a moment and now I can leave.

Just as I am ready to skip all of this, the men in front of me push the double doors open. The group of people out in the middle of the floor all turn their heads to the doors.

"It's your turn, Miss." One man speaks up because I am just standing here like a deer in headlights.

"Sorry..." I step through the doors and the environment changes. The room is filled with people, most of them are in the center of the room dancing. A few couples are at the tables set up at the side of this large room. It's beautiful, to be honest. There are multiple dimmed chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, as well as white and black drapes.

A spot light swings over me, and the doors shut behind me. I stand here awkwardly, not sure what is happening. I raise my hand to block out the bright light.