Chapter 3

I pace the room. I've been pacing for over the past ten minutes, actually. Melody left almost twenty minutes before. She explained to me multiple times and made it very clear not to leave this room. I won't, but I can't stop thinking about this whole situation.

I could barely sleep last night. Not only because I couldn't not think about what all is happening but also because of the tail. I had to lie on my side or else I'd feel it pushing against my lower back. Originally I expected to wake up in my apartment, under my soft blankets, but I didn't. Instead, this isn't a dream, this is horribly real. How did I get myself into this predicament, anyway? I mean obviously that box, but how did it end up at my door if humans are strictly not allowed here? Something seems wrong.

I think I am just confused. Everything happened so fast last night and now I can think straight. Yet, it doesn't feel like I am. I don't know why, but being here feels better...

I hear the door start to creak open and I quickly flip around. Thankfully Melody walks in, "Hey." She whispers until the door is shut and locked. "I think we are in the clear. I don't see any of the security nor did I detect any magic signatures." She clasps her hands together, "Which means you can go home."

I run my tongue over the back of my teeth. I'm not sure how she is about to react, but here goes nothing. "What if I stay here?"

Melody freezes in front of the door. She looks at me, puzzled. "What?"

I sigh and sit down for the first time in what seems to be hours. "I don't know... I just keep thinking about it."

Melody takes a seat next to me. "You have a home and people there. Family..." Then she trails off and I fiddle with my fingers. I have nothing to go back to, honestly, and she knows that now. "That's why you don't want to go back, isn't it?" Melody makes the realization.

"Yeah..."

Melody squeezes her knees tensely. I anxiously wait for her reply. "If I say yes, you're going to have to listen to me. We're going to have some rules."

I jump up, "Really!" My tail knocks down the small lamp on the nightstand.

Melody rolls her eyes. "This is going to be a project. Okay listen to me," Even if she said no I'd still have to listen. I'm just overly excited she said yes. If this doesn't work out, she can just send me back anyway. "Two primary rules. Never take that necklace off!" She points at the crystal necklace. "And two don't act like a human. There are strict laws about humans and I don't want either of us to get in trouble. This is a big risk, do you understand?" I nod furiously.

I get an irritating itch in my ear and touch them awkwardly to try and find the spot. I am not used to the tall ears on my head yet.

"Like that! Stop, you look ridiculous." Melody complains, swatting my hand away.

"Sorry..."

She waves it off. "Before we start anything. We need to get you a schedule." Melody grabs her purse and tucks her wand in it like she is getting ready to leave again. "Technically, we need to get you enrolled in Willow's Forest College all together. I can't have a random roommate who doesn't actually go to class, right?"

"I guess so."

Melody looks over her shoulder at the door. "Are you coming?" I raise my eyebrows. I didn't expect her to let me come with, let alone out of our room. With nothing to grab, I skip over and follow her out of the room. "Tell me Rei, what classes do you like?"

The hallway is just as nice as I imagined any dorm building to be. Perfectly white walls, windows at each end of them, with a few plants for decoration. A few people have boards on their doors with their names written on them. I hadn't noticed any of this when I first walked through. We were in a rush, after all.