Chapter 10

I barely want to eat the food in front of me that I brought for lunch. I'm sick to my stomach after having seen Kris in the hallways early. Then I had to see Brandon, who easily avoided me, just like I was. It was easier not having to see him, but at the same time, it still hurt.

I pick at my food as the others talk to one another, unaware of my down mood. "Oh yeah, did you hear Brandon threw some vampire kid from the second floor at some party on Friday?" I hear Axel say, and I immediately snap my head up. Please tell me he doesn't know the entire story, or that I was even at that party. "Flung his ass so hard he was unconscious for a few hours."

"Yeah! That's because," Paris adds in and I can see it on her face. No, please don't. She saw me there, she saw Brandon saving me and forcing me out of that house. "Brandon saved poor Rei over there from being assaulted." All eyes go wide at our table, even Dante's.

Dante isn't one for giving reactions. Last week I found out he is a fallen angel. I don't know too much about it besides that they are very down and depressed all the time.

"You went to that party with Brandon." Melody grits her teeth as she stares at me.

"I... no, sort of. Yea." I sit in defeat, picking even more at my yet to be touched food.

"I thought I told you." She grabs my arm and yanks, forcing me to look at her, "To stay away from him." Paris and Axel awkwardly look at one another and Paris gives me an apologetic look. I wish she would have just kept her mouth shut.

The entire table is watching us with uncertain looks. I can feel the embarrassment flooding up my body.

"Melody!" Paris intervenes. "If it wasn't for Brandon, some vampire kid would have devoured her. I don't know the whole story but if my sister was involved with that, I am really sorry by the way." Does she know he tried to drug me? Or does everyone just think Harmony sent Kris after me to make me uncomfortable?

The images flash in my head and my tail tenses up as well as my ears. She is right. If it wasn't for Brandon, who knows what Kris would have done to me. I could have drank whatever was in that cup and have no idea what happened by the time I came to. "Besides," I speak up, finally, "You won't have to worry about us. We are not friends anymore."

"You shouldn't have been friends in the first place." Melody growls under her breath.

Out of frustration, I stab my fork into my sandwich and stand from the table. I'm already mad at myself, I don't need to hear it from Melody as well. I grab my bag, sling it over my shoulder and without hesitation walk away from the table. I would love to skip the rest of my classes right now.

I push open the exit doors and head into the hallway. Of course, Brandon and Harmony are heading straight towards me. I move to the other side of the hall and keep my head down. I don't miss the fact that Brandon looks at me just as we pass. "Rei!" I freeze for a moment, but it's a girl's voice calling for me. Paris runs to my side. "Can we talk for a moment?"

"Sure." I sigh and stop in the hallway. Brandon is heading into the cafeteria area. He glances in my direction and we connect eyes. I'm the one who looks away first.

"I'm not really sure what the complete story is but I can see you're heartbroken and I think Brandon is too." I give a short laugh, not believing her. Heartbroken? Not at all. Only upset at myself. "Melody is wrong for controlling you and telling you who you can and cannot be friends with, and I have tried to talk to her about it all the time. Rei, you deserve to be happy, and I think you're thrilled when you're with Brandon."

I tsk at her, "You haven't seen me with Brandon. You don't know what you're talking about." I'm in denial. How can I be heartbroken over some demon boy I just met?