Chapter 12

I hunch forward, placing my hands on my knees, and try to catch my breath. I hate gym and most importantly; I hate running. "You good?" I look up to Axel, gliding down to the ground. His wings send an amazing cool gust of air in my direction when he lands.

"Y-yes." I answer between heavy breaths. "Seriously, I hate running."

Axel laughs and crosses his arms over his chest, "You're a panther, isn't that like one of your specialties."

"Shut up." I give him a rude look and then go back to trying to catch my breath.

Thankfully, he moves on from the subject. "Did your date go well with Brandon?" Just Axel mentioning it makes my stomach flutter. Or maybe I am just going to get sick from running so much.

"One, it wasn't a date and two, it was actually really good. Amazing. Words can't describe it. The Ruby Pond is an amazing place." My mind flashes memories of that night.

"Yeah it's-" A loud whistle interrupts Axel's sentence and we both look in the direction it came from. Niam, the gym professor, is staring at us with an unhappy look on his lion maned looking face. "Catch you after class." Axel waves and takes flight again. While I suffer running on the ground, Axel gets to fly.

I look back at Professor Niam and give him a "give me a second to catch my breath" wave. He's not too happy about it, but he turns his attention to some of the other students.

I take breaths and use my hands as fans until I am comfortable enough to force myself to run more. I begin to sprint but come to a quick halt when I see a large wolf in front of me. He is staring directly at me. Then I hear growling behind me and I find another wolf staring. Are these two really about to fight near me? I try to take a step back to avoid being stuck in the middle of a wolf fight, but I only end up finding another wolf. They've circled around me, they're not growling at one another, they're growling at me.

"Okay, woah!" I hold my hands out in a panic but let's chill out kind of way. Why me? What exactly is this? Some sort of ambush? Even if it is, they have no reason to come after me. I haven't even met a werewolf!

Panic suffocates me, and I have no idea what to do. I searched around for professor Niam and of course he is nowhere to be found now. I dig through memories to try and find maybe one reason this could be happening.

The wolf in front of me lunges, which causes me to yelp and fall backwards. Another also lunges and their nails catch my ankle. I hiss at the burning feeling. Nothing is going to stop them. I hang my head while holding my ankle. It's a perfect scratch and a lot of blood is seeping out. If I look for too long, I may just pass out.

A much more powerful growl catches my attention. As well as all the other wolves. A wolf larger than the rest jumps over one of the wolves and stands in front of me. He must be the Alpha.

I stare in fear, shock, and many other emotions. It's a major Twilight moment if you ask me.

The Alpha stands tall and growls more fiercely. All the surrounding wolves cower. The noise even causes my own ears to twitch in discomfort. Slowly they back away and then officially run off.

I look up from my bleeding leg and connect eyes with the Alpha's sunshine ones. Air catches in my throat. He is big, much bigger than I originally thought. I hate that he is looking at me. It doesn't help that he's a wolf and I'm a cat.

His eyes flick to my leg, then back to my eyes. He makes an odd huffing noise before running off.

"Rei!" Axel's voice forces me to look away from the large wolf running away from me. "We need to take you to the nurse." Immediately Axel is lifting me off the ground and flying into the air. I tightly hold on to him, and that's when I see her. Over Axel's shoulder Harmony and one of her friends are leaning against the side of the bleachers. She is smirking and watching us leave.