twelve

"No! Don't hurt him any more! Take me! He has a son and no one to raise him if anything happens to him. I have a wife and everything to live for, but she can take care of our children. They'll still have a parent, but his son won't, so take me, not him" Emily exclaimed
"Emily stop!" He stated.
"No Hotch, you are my best friend and you aren't going to die!" She stepped closer to the unsub who held the gun to Hotch's head.
"Emily, don't do this just promise me you'll take him" The old unit chief begged but before the brunette could answer there was a gunshot.
23 Hours Ago
"... two days before that Aaron Horchner went missing" The brunette sighed.
"So what do we do?" Spencer asked.
"We get to work. Tara and Spencer, I want you to go through all the cases that Hotch worked on before he left, if there was an unsub that was going to get revenge you'll be the ones to find him. Rossi, the photos of their house in Italy are being sent over now when they get here. I want you to go over them, see if there's anything out of the ordinary, even the smallest thing we'll find it. Morgan I want you to give Jack a cognitive. JJ help Garcia go through his phone records, texts, emails, all of it. Just in case I will be assigning police protection to all of your homes you may want to inform your families" Emily explained before walking back into her office. Melody was still in her chair so Emily sat in the chair as the boys were on the couch. The woman started reading the Italian case file but was distracted by Melody's chair turning away from her mother.
"Hey Mel, what's going on sweetheart?" Emily asked, the girl didn't like talking about her feelings, something she had picked up in the time with her mother's.
"I'm not talking to you!" She stated
"Mel, you have to talk to me, I'm your mom" Emily got up and crouched beside the chair to see Melody in tears.
"You left without saying goodbye, you always say goodbye" Melody trembled and Emily quickly picked up the girl and sat down with the crying Melody in her lap.
"Shhh, it's okay sweetheart" Emily calmed her, continuing to read the file as Melody started drawing circles into Emily's shoulders. JJ came into the office to see the kids calm and Emily going over the file.
"Hey Em, I think it's time" Emily nodded and picked up the phone.
"Hi this is Unit Chief Prentiss with the BAU, can I speak to Agent Matt Simmons please?" A series of phone calls passed and by this time Garcia was digging deeper into something that Rossi had dug up as two men walked into the BAU.
"Everyone, due to the severity of this case, I've decided to call in reinforcements, this is SSA Matt Simmons and SSA Luke Alvez" Emily announced. Hellos were exchanged between everyone before they continued working.
21 Hours Ago
"Emily, I think I have something" Garcia stated and the brunette rushed to her office with Derek.
"So I was tracking the servers and the cell towers from the number that called Hotch over and over. I used the IP address to find a location. I know where he is" Garcia explained.
"Where babygirl?" Derek asked
"A small town in bangladesh"
"Call the jet, tell them we're on our way." Emily walked out of the room with Derek and through the bullpen where everyone was. Rossi, Luke, Derek, Matt, and Tara, we're going to Bangladesh." Emily stated and everyone grabbed their go bags as Emily went to her office to say bye to the kids.
"Are you bringing my dad back?" Jack asked after hugging his 'aunt'
"I sure hope so bud" Emily smiled before leaving the office with a goodbye from JJ. The majority of the team headed to the jet, to the place where Aaron Hotchnwr may or may not be alive.
Present
The team had gone to the location Garcia had given them and quickly found Hotch, but with that came finding the unsub who didn't hesitate to put a gun to the man's head.
"No! Don't hurt him any more! Take me! He has a son and no one to raise him if anything happens to him. I have a wife and everything to live for, but she can take care of our children. They'll still have a parent, but his son won't, so take me, not him" Emily exclaimed, putting her gun down.
"Prentiss what the hell are you doing?" Matt asked.
"Emily stop!" Hotch stated.
"No Hotch, you are my best friend and you aren't going to die!" She stepped closer to the unsub who held the gun to Hotch's head.
"Emily, don't do this just promise me you'll take him" The old unit chief begged but before the brunette could answer there was a gunshot.
"Oh my god" Hotch sighed with relief before Emily ran over to him and began untying him as the unsub bled out beside them. Rossi holstered his gun and ran to them.
"Hey, you're alive" Emily breathed, hugging Hotch.
"I am and thank you Dave" flashed a rare smile before heading out with the team to the hospital where he was admitted just to get checked out. After everyone visited him, Emily headed in.
"Hey" She smiled.
"Emily you have four kids and a grandchild, you gave your life to a gunman" Hotch stated.
"Okay that's beside the point, and as you know not the first time I've done that. Anyway, I just got off the phone with the deputy director, they'd love to have you back" Emily explained.
"To work under you?" Hotch asked, sitting up.
"Even better, to work over me" Emily laughed.
"What do you mean?"
"Well you may not now this but a few cases back Strauss died, they have an opening for Section Chief, you'd get more time with Jack and you'd be able to come on cases only if you wanted to and I guarantee that JJ will agree with me when I say that we'll help you with Jack"
"Are you serious" The man asked
"Yeah, come back to DC, come back to your family" Emily smiled.
"I will" Hotch replied.
    It was a few days later, Hotch had moved back to DC and Jack was staying with the Prentiss family while his father recovered. Emily was in her room, reading in French with Micheal curled up on her chest. Melody was in between her and Elle who had Brady on her lap while JJ was helping Henry and Jack. They were happy, something they hadn't felt in a while.