five

February 3
"In loving memory of Eliana Rosalie Prentiss, a beloved wife, daughter and sister, may her memory be eter-"
"Oh my god!" Emily exclaimed out of breath and JJ shot up.
"G-go back bed I'm okay" Emily said as her wife began rubbing her back.
"You had the nightmare again" JJ stated
"It's been a year Em, she fought it and she survived, it's all over. The adoption is coming up, Henry's going to be ten, Micheal is okay, all of our kids are going to be okay." JJ explained before placing her head on Emily's shoulder.
"I know-I know we were just so close to losing her. I was gone her entire childhood, I can't lose her again" Emily sighed as she intertwined her fingers with JJ.
"We're not gonna lose her, promise" JJ replied and kissed Emily's cheek before pulling her back to lay down. JJ made herself comfortable by placing her head in Emily's chest and wrapping her arms around her. The brunette lightly kissed JJ's head and stayed awake as her wife fell asleep.
"No Please No!" Melody yelled from one of her nightmares. She hadn't been getting them as badly since she grew to see JJ and Emily as her moms, but there were still many nights where her father possessed her mind. Emily jumped out of bed and went into Melody's room where she saw her daughter clutching her stuffed bear as tight as she could.
"Melody it's okay, it's okay sweetheart I'm here, you're safe" Emily calmed her.
"Mommy" Melody whined,
"I'm here" Emily sighed and she gently picked up the little girl and rocked her in her arms.
"It's okay, you're safe Mel, I've got you" Emily whispered as Melody cried into her chest before Emily brought her down stairs and began making her some eggs and toast.
"Mommy can you hold me?" Melody asked and it was obvious her separation anxiety that developed when she was first with them was coming back. Emily made her way to Melody who was sitting on the counter and picked her up, the little girl wrapped her legs tightly around Emily and held her arms tightly around her mother's neck. Emily sat down on the couch with Melody after eating breakfast and shortly after JJ came down with Micheal.
"Hey what are you too doing up?" JJ asked sleepily but before either of them could answer a knock came from the door. Melody was still clinging to Emily so JJ went over with Micheal still in her arms and opened the door to reveal her estranged mother.
"Mom?" JJ asked and her face fell with shock.
"Jenni-"
"What are you doing here?" JJ asked and Emily gently pried Melody off of her and went to the door.
"I only have one shot at being a grandmother and I want to apologize for everything I have done to you, I just want a chance to be a grandmo-" Sandy started but JJ was quick to cut her off.
"Are you coming here to be a mother and a grandmother or just a grandmother telling my kids how awful my marriage is, how It's not right, or how they shouldn't love us because you don't love me, you want to be a grandmother, not to my kids" JJ explained angrily before shutting the door and going back to the couch like nothing had happened.
"JJ-" Emily started
"Emily, I'm fine, now why don't we get this little guy some breakfast?" JJ said in a childish voice as she picked up Micheal, and Melody climbed back onto the brunette.
"Eggs!" Micheal exclaimed, the yellow food was his favorite since he could partially chew.
"Okay eggs it is, do you want any more Mel?" Emily asked and Melody shook her head yes. Henry came plopping down the stairs tiredly and sat at the counter where the other two kids were.
"Henry, do you want some eggs?" JJ asked and the little boy shook his head.
"Yes mom" he smiled which was contagious to Emily.
They finished breakfast and once the kids were off to the playroom Emily wrapped her arms around JJ and buried her head into the blonde's neck before turning her around.
"Jennifer, we promised each other a long time ago no more secrets, no more hiding things, tell me how you feel about what happened" Emily asked
"I'm done, with my mom, all of it. I have the most amazing wife, the best kids and I couldn't ask for anything more Em, I don't care about what happened earlier because a long time ago I coped with the fact that my mother and I would never have the relationship that we used to, but I am okay" JJ explained and lightly kissed Emily.
"I love how much you care and I love you more than anything" JJ exclaimed before kissing Emily again.
"I love you too," Emily whispered.
"Now is there anything you're hiding from me?" JJ asked sexily but Emily hesitated and JJ knew something was up.
"Is there?"
"Every time I close my eyes I can just see Elle's pale and lifeless body in a casket and it's killing me, over the past year, seeing her struggle, seeing her become just a shell of the person she once was, losing her hair, wanting to give up over and over again. Seeing her broken almost broke me and I know that she's okay, I know that she is better but I can't get it out of my head JJ, we were so close to losing her and I don't think I could ever face that, losing her for good" Emily explained with watery eyes that she had been showing a lot more recently. JJ didn't say anything she just held Emily as tight as she could.
"Mommy!" Melody exclaimed as she ran into the kitchen where she saw her moms in an intense hug that Emily pulled away from and crouched down in front of the girl.
"Are you okay mommy?" Melody asked and she placed her small hand on Emily's cheek.
"I-uh- I am fine swe-" Emily was interrupted by Melody wiping the small tear that fell from her eye.
"Mommy don't be sad," Melody said softly and JJ smiled as Emily picked up the little girl.
"I'm not sad, I'm just really really happy" Emily faked a smile and brought the girl back to the playroom.