Chapter Four (Rowena)

Rowena

David accompanied me home. He refused to say anything about tonight's events until we were back at my place. I tried to understand what had happened, but nothing made sense at all. Nothing in my life had ever made me feel the way I felt when I was in Henry's arms. It was almost like I was under a spell.

The all-consuming pull to him was unreal and was more than love or lust. It was like every cell of my body demanded I be with him. I forgot about everything in my life that wasn't him, even Charlie. I still felt the pull now, its force was significantly diminished compared to when I was with Henry, but it remained, lurking beneath my conscious thoughts. I could think for myself now, which was a relief.

By the time David and I arrived home, I was exhausted, both mentally and physically. I wanted to fall straight into bed, and I would have, except I knew I needed answers. I was going to take this damn dress off first, though. I still felt uncomfortable in it. I wondered if Henry liked it. I blushed as I remembered the way his hand comforted me, rubbing my bare back and how he licked his lips when he peered into my eyes with his swirling red and amber ones.

I tore my thoughts away from Henry and concentrated on the present as best I could. "Would you like some tea?" I asked David as we went inside.

David shook his head. "I'll make you one while you get changed, sister."

I was a little unnerved by the new way David talked. He appeared to be mimicking the speech and rhythm of both Henry and Lawrence. Both of them spoke well, it was David that made it strange since he never used to talk like that.

I got changed into leggings and a sweatshirt and went back to sit with David at the table in my tiny kitchen. As I walked in, I was surprised to see another man standing with David.

"Lawrence, what the hell are you doing here?" I was furious. How could he think he would be welcome here after what he had done? Even though I didn't understand what was going on, I knew that Lawrence had been the architect of the meeting tonight and had manipulated not only Henry and me but also David. "I didn't say you could come in."

"Oh, my sweet child. That's just a bit of misinformation we feed humans to make them feel safe." Lawrence said. I did a double-take and looked at David.

"Is he mentally ill?" I asked David.

Both men chuckled, and Lawrence asked David, "You haven't told her yet?" David shook his head, wiping a tear from his eye. "Then what have you been doing?"

Becoming serious, David said, "I know my sister. She should hear it here."

Lawrence threw his hands in the air with exaggerated gestures and flounced over to sit at the table. "Well, I suggest you start talking, Dearest One. I will stay and assist with questions of Henry, which I'm sure your sister will have. Won't you, dear Rowena?"

"Umm," I felt very much in the dark. Listening to them made me feel like I was watching Shakespeare. Yeah, I kind of knew what they are saying, but the true meaning was lost on me. "I do have questions about Henry, but more importantly, why are you threatening to take Charlie away from me?"

David took a moment to think and said slowly, "That's arguably not the best place to start."

"Well, start somewhere," I said, getting frustrated. "Start with why you look so different." I gasped, thinking I knew what could explain it. "Did you have plastic surgery?"

"No, Row, but I did undergo a..." David looked at Lawrence thinking. His face brightened, and he said, "a transformation."

"Transformation?" I asked incredulously. "Like a fucking caterpillar?"