Chapter Seven (Rowena)

Rowena

Alex was as handsome as I remembered him, perhaps even more so now that he had grown up and filled out. He was taller than I remembered, well over six foot. Taller than Henry too. His body was lithe, slim but very muscular, like a soccer player, whereas Henry was more like a rugby player, thick and robust. Henry was darker in hair and tone, and Alex was blonde and fair. He made me feel like a ton of bricks were crushing my chest. I don't know if it was because I grieved the loss of him or the loss of the family we could have been.

He greeted us with a genuine smile and enthusiastic wave, appearing happy to see us. Reluctantly and unconfidently, I returned his wave. To smile at him was a bridge too far at this point. I turned away from him and got Charlie out of the car.

Alex hugged his mother first, and I felt guilty watching them embrace. Tears welled in Alice's eyes, and her fervent words of nostalgia and apology for her absence broke my heart. It wasn't only my fault that Alice missed her son. Alex made the choices he had and could hardly blame Charlie or me for them. But I still felt remorseful.

Alex turned his attention to me, and my heart skipped a beat. I blushed, realising he must have heard that. He stepped forward and gave me a tentative smile. 

"Hi," he said with his melodic voice. It was strange hearing such a voice from a mythical creature I always assumed would be more like Henry than Alex. To my relief, he seemed as unsure of what to do next as I did.

"Hi," I replied when I found my voice. "It's, uh, it's good to see you."

He chuckled, and looking bemused, he said, "Goddess, I've planned so many times the things I would say to you if I ever got to speak to you again, but for the life of me, I can't remember any of it."

I hummed in agreeance and said, "I don't know what to say either. I feel like I want to apologise. I didn't understand what was happening to you, and I judged you harshly all this time. I..."

"Stop," Alex said firmly. "No, Row, don't. You don't need to do that. You were very much in the right." He glanced at Charlie, and a fond, soft smile grew across his face. "I thank you every day that you stood up to me and refused what I asked you to do. It took me a few years and my daughter's birth to understand I was wrong. Forgive me?"

This was not exactly how I thought this meeting would go. I imagined much more screaming and tears and possibly another escape attempt. "I, um, I don't know, I." I stammered, really thrown for a loop. "I don't know if I forgive you. But we can work on it."

Alex took a step closer with his arms out. My God, he was going to hug me. My fear and surprise must have shown on my face because he dropped his arms. "Sorry, I suppose we arent there yet."

"Shake on it?" I compromised. He nodded, and we shook hands. "You've met your son Charlie before, haven't you?" I said. Alex looked alarmed and snuck a peek at Alice. I smiled and gave a nod to indicate that it was ok, I knew.

He made a face of gratitude and squatted down in front of Charlie. Charlie was so tall now that he was taller than Alex when he squatted. "Hey, little man, well, you're not exactly little anymore. Do you remember me?"

Although Charlie still clung to me, he spoke clearly to his father. "Yeah, I remember you."

"That's great. I've been looking forward to seeing you again for quite some time. Can I have a hug?"

Charlie glanced at me as if seeking permission. I shrugged and pointed to him, letting him know it was up to him. Charlie put his arms out, and they hugged. To my surprise, Alex had tears in his eyes. I was astounded to see Alex inhale deeply, sniffing at Charlie's hair and neck. Alex let out a short sob before he could hold it back. I looked away before the scene made me cry too.