Chapter 19 (Henry)

Henry

Fawn was nervous as she got ready to see Charlie and had fussed for ages about what to wear. I lounged on the bed watching her as she tried on her clothes and tore them off in frustration. 

"They're all too revealing or too dressed up, I just want something casual. Which I would have if you didn't keep tearing my bloody clothes off." Fawn said, furiously.

I laughed, "May I remind you, Fawn, that, a. You love it when I tear your clothes off and b. you're about to be a princess and while at court a certain level of dress was expected."

Blushing, Fawn ignored my first point and argued with my second. "We aren't going to court Henry, I'm visiting my son for the first time as a Vampire. I don't want him to think I've changed too much. He's used to seeing me in jeans or leggings, not $500 cocktail dresses."

I rolled my eyes at her, she had a way of getting under my skin, frustrating me, but not angering me. Thinking it would be quicker, I looked through the clothes I bought her and pulled out a light green floral maxi dress and a short white knitted cardigan. "How about this?" I asked. "You've got those wedges that will suit it nicely."

"Ok," She sighed. "At least my hair always looks good now. I only have to brush it and it shines." She dressed and put a little mascara on. She leaned over the basin in the bathroom, getting close to the mirror and applied the makeup. Her mouth hung open as she concentrated on her task. I wanted to take a picture of her, she looked so beautiful at that moment. When she thought no one was looking, she was so herself, at ease and comfortable. I could see her anxiety return as soon as she had finished and left the bathroom. "Are you sure I look ok? Not too weird?"

"Come here," I said from the edge of the bed and I pulled her onto my knee. "You are beautiful. You look different, but you're still you. You're still Charlie's mother and he will see that. You heard how excited he is. He thinks you're amazing." I kissed her forehead, drinking in the fragrance of her freshly cleaned skin.

I kissed her neck briefly, right on her mate mark that was hidden by her hair. I told her that only Vampires can see the mark, but she insisted on wearing it down just in case Charlie saw it. Before I got carried away kissing her soft skin and smelling the sweet blood that flowed beneath, I stood her up and said, "Come on Fawn, let's meet Uncle Felix."

Felix was waiting downstairs at the dining table. He stood when we entered the room and making his way over to Fawn he bowed. "Your highness."

Fawn looked at me, expecting me to reply. When I didn't she looked confused and looked back at Felix and realised he was addressing her. "Sorry, you mean me?" She asked, incredulous.

Felix, stood, "Well officially not yet, but I wanted to be the first to address you so and welcome you to the family." Felix, being old fashioned, kissed both her cheeks.

Fawn looked at me, her face bright red. I laughed and said, "You better get used to it."

Fawn pulled her sunglasses down over her eyes. "Thank you, Felix. It's lovely to meet you."

He smiled at her, offered her his arm and lead her to the car. "Shall we go meet the wolves, then?"

As we got closer to Alex's house, Fawn lost some of her anxiety and it was replaced with growing excitement. Her leg bounced as her thoughts went from Charlie being thrilled to see her to Charlie running away screaming, to Alex and myself having to pull her off him because she wanted to drain him. Surprisingly she had no thoughts about me hurting him. Maybe that's because she could feel the truth of my words when I said I had no wish to cause him harm anymore.

Alex met us at the door, opening just wide enough to get through and Charlie ran out from between his legs. Alex grabbed him around the waist to stop him, but the little boy broke free and ran to my Fawn with his arms open wide. Alex and I looked at each other, Alex's face was white, unsure if he had made an error. My Little Fawn's thoughts seemed ok, full of love and relief as she scooped up her son and hugged him.