Chapter 5 - From Tomorrow, You're a Runner

It's silent, deadly silent. Well, that was until Gally opens his big mouth.

"Still think I'm overreacting?" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jeff, what's going on?" Newt asks, concerned, as we walk into the Homestead to check on the girl that had come up in the box in a comatose.

"What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?" He continued. Instead of answering Newt's question, Jeff instead turns to talk to Thomas.

"Hey, man, I got my job the same way you did," he says. Thomas doesn't reply, still looking at the girl in front of us. Newt, noticing that Thomas is currently preoccupied, turns to him and stares sceptically.

"Well, do you recognise her?" 

"No," He replies, shaking his head. But there's a slight tremble in his voice. He's lying, I can tell. Though, I don't say anything to Minho or Newt. 

"Really? Because she seemed to recognise you," Newt shoots back at him.

"What about the note?" Thomas asks, clearly trying to stir the conversation away from himself.

"Yeah, we'll worry about the note later,"

"No, I think we should worry about it now,"

"I'm with Thomas on this one," I chime in. Newt looks at me and shakes his head at me.

"We've got enough to deal with at the moment," Newt replies simply. Jeff voices his disagreement though confusing the shuck out of us. Newt tries to defuse the claims of the box not coming back up. Even though he knows it himself what that note meant. You can see the panic in his face and hear it only slightly in his voice. It wouldn't be noticeable to someone who hasn't spent a lot of time around him. Thomas looks worried at some point in the conversation. Abruptly, he turns and leaves the room.

"Where are you going?" Newt asks.

"Back into the maze," he says, his voice drowning out as he walks out the door. Newt looked at Minho and me as if telling us to go and stop him, so we leave. But unlike Newt, I have no intention of stopping Thomas.

"Hey," Minho whisper-shouts after him, "Hey Thomas! Hey! Hey! Come on," he says, standing in front of him and placing a hand on his chest to stop him from going any further.

"What's this with you, huh? A death wish? You just got out and now you want back in?" Thomas just sighs.

"Newt said no-one's ever seen a Griever and lived to tell about it, right? And Minho, we have one! You're telling me you're not even a little bit curious?"

"Not really no,"

"Well, I am, so I'm coming with you,"

"Come on then," He says, moving to take a few more steps, but Minho stops him again and he just rolls his eyes.

"So, what's the plan? You gonna go out and dissect that thing by yourselves?"

"We will if we have to. Have the other Runners left yet?"

"The other Runners quit this morning," Minho says solemnly, nodding towards the group of ex-runners, "After Alby got stung, they're not in a hurry to get back out there. Why are you?"