Chapter 12 - So You'll Be My Girlfriend Then?

After we had all finished eating, we were led to another room, this one filled with bunk beds. Minho and Fry raced for the top bunk closest to the door, Minho getting there way before him.

"Too slow," I roll my eyes at their childishness.

"I could get used to this," Winston says sounding somewhat relaxed.

"Yeah, I could get used to this," Newt chimes in just before the door closes and locks. Thomas questions the whereabouts of Teresa again before Newt climbs into the top bunk. Seeing the unsure look on my face as to where to sleep, Thomas sits down on one of the bottom bunks and pats the space next to him. I take my place next to him before gathering up the courage to start this conversation. Just as I'm about to begin, the lights flicker off leaving us in almost complete darkness.

"Um, just so we're on the same page here... Um, what are we?" I ask cautiously and quietly.

"Well... I don't know... I don't think I've ever been with anyone before, or at least I can't remember dating anyone. So, yeah, I really don't know how this works..." He replies with just as much vigilance and anxiousness. We look at each other, still trying to figure out what the shuck is going on between the both of us.

"I mean, I-I wanna give it a try if you do?" He says, the fear of how this conversation will go down quivering in his voice. My nod is barely noticeable, but he definitely sees it because he nods right back at me.

"So, you'll be my girlfriend then?" He smiles, now more confident.

"Yeah, yeah," I say, smiling back just as widely. Once happy and content with our sleeping positions, I look up at him from where my head is resting on his chest and lean up to kiss him gently on the lips. He reciprocates it, but before it can get even a little bit more heated, Newt pops his head down to shoot us a dirty look.

"If you two plan on repopulating, can you at least wait till the rest of us are out of the room!" He hisses. I look at him disapprovingly.

"That is not what we were about to do, mind out the shucking gutter!" I whisper back in derision. He takes his head back up onto his own bed and works on going to sleep. I resume back to my old position with my head on Thomas' chest, my hand splayed over where his heart is, grounding myself to the steadiness of his heartbeat and I let sleep take over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day is almost the same as the day before, sit and talk in our room until mealtimes. And like clockwork, at our final meal of the day, 10 or more names are called out so they can be moved to 'the safe haven'. This time I couldn't exactly keep count as there was a conversation going on over Janson's roll call.

"I wanna know what's through that door," Thomas says, staring intently at the door he tried to go through yesterday. It is still guarded by two soldiers.

"Now, come on, we've been over this. You said they were covered up, so you don't know what you saw. It could've been anything under there," Newt rebuts.

"It's shifty though," I susurrate quietly over to him.

"I know exactly what I saw, they were bodies. Aris said they bring in a new batch every night,"

"Who the hell is Aris?" Minho probes. Thomas looks over at the hooded boy who is currently just playing with his food, "Well I'm sold," Minho finishes sarcastically. Janson goes to leave the room and Thomas' gaze goes back to the now open door.

"Okay, until we know anything for certain, we should just keep our heads down, and try not to draw any attention to ourselves, alright?" But Thomas isn't listening and he makes a move towards the doors. I don't know why he thinks he has a chance of being let through, but let's face it, he's the most impulsive little shit I've ever met. I reach for his arm in an attempt to keep him at the table but miss completely and he keeps walking. For a minute, I think he might get through, but just before he does, the two guards step in front of him.

"What is he doing?" Newt said warily.

"I think he's drawing attention to himself," Fry answers. 

"No shit, Sherlock," I chime in. One of the guards puts a hand on his chest multiple times to push him back. He argues for a few seconds before walking away. I sigh in relief, he's leaving it. Well, I was wrong about that, he turns back to them and tries to force his way through, pushing the guards to shove him back again. Thomas hits him and everyone races to hold him back and stop him from causing even more of a scene. He keeps mouthing off at the guards as Newt pulls him away, and I take hold of his hand to try and calm him down. The guard he hit gets all up in my face.

"Control your little boyfriend!" He sneers. Janson comes running into the room preventing the fight from carrying on. 

"Thomas, I thought we could trust each other. You know we're all on the same team here," He says, resting his hand on Thomas' shoulder. 

"Are we?" Thomas challenges clearly pissed and wanting answers about Teresa. This question riles Janson up and he directs for us to be taken back to our bunks. So, we're all accompanied back to our room. 

"Get your asses in there! All of you!"

"What the hell was all that about?" Minho hisses.

"Yeah, thanks a lot, Tommy," I add sarcastically.

"You didn't really think they were just gonna let you through?" Newt says, unimpressed by Thomas' actions in the cafeteria.

"Nah, of course I didn't," Thomas replies reaching into his pocket and pulling out a key card.

"Oh!" We all say in sync.

"I'm gonna find out what's on the other side of that door,"

"Right..." Newt says, the disapprovement of this plan evident in his voice. He clearly doesn't think that there's anything shady about this place.

"Newt, they're hiding something. Okay? These people are not who they say they are,"

"No, Thomas, you don't know that! The only thing that we do know is that they helped rescue us from WICKED,"

"But what if they didn't?" I say cautiously, everyone looks at me weirdly, "I mean come on, who's to say that we aren't still in WICKED's clutches. If there was nothing to hide, they'd have let Thomas through that door,"

"They've given us new clothes. They gave us food. They gave us a proper bed. Some of us haven't had that in a long time," Newt keeps ranting.

"Yeah, but," Thomas goes to interject.

"Some of us a lot longer than others," Newt carries on, scowling at Thomas. Suddenly, a vent from underneath mine and Thomas' bed pops open and out crawls Aris.

"Hey, Thomas," He gasps, out of breath.

"What the-" I hear Frypan quietly exclaim. He asks Thomas if he got something and Thomas pulls out the keycard. He moves over to Aris.

"Who even is this kid?" Minho cries out. Thomas crouches down, asks us to cover for him and then slides underneath the bed and into the vents.