Chapter 10 - I Definitely Had A Thing For You Too

We run all the way back through the maze, Thomas encouraging everyone to keep up. I tag along at the back to help Newt with his limp. But when we arrive around the corner from our exit from the maze, Thomas stops us for a pep talk. He quickly peers around the corner to see whether the coast is clear.

"Is it a Griever?" Chuck asks.

"Yep..."

"Shit," Minho passes Chuck the key and tells him to stay behind us for safety.

"Once we're through, it will activate and the doors will open. Alright, we stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying. Ready? Thomas whispers to us all.

"One last thing," I said, stepping closer to him. As I reach him, I kiss him softly on the lips for a few seconds before pulling away and whispering in his ear,

"I definitely had a thing for you too," I pull away, leaving him in a stunned silence and walk back to Newt, who is giving me a weird look.

"Really? It's been four days?" He points out.

"Actually, it's been at least 2 years," He squints and looks at me, clearly confused, "I'll explain later," Thomas recovers from the shock and leads us into the fight. In the tussle, the key is thrown nearly over the edge of the passageway. Chuck runs and grabs it, almost falling over the edge himself. Teresa dashes to pull him up and I work on getting them both over to the door where the key activates and stand guard of them, my arrow ready to be released at any given moment. As the fight continues, we lose a few of the other Gladers.

"Y/n/n! Tell Thomas we need an 8 digit code!" Teresa shouts over to me.

"Thomas! There's a code, eight numbers!"

"Eight sections of the maze," I hear him mumble, "Minho, what's the sequence!?"

"What?"

"The sections of the maze? What's the sequence?"

"Seven! One! Five! Two... uh, six! Four!" Suddenly he is cut off by a Griever that has fallen from above and landed on top of him. Jeff charges at it, stabbing it straight through the head. Instead of killing Minho, the Griever kills Jeff with him being the immediate threat. Everyone is backed into the passageway towards Chuck, me and Teresa.

"Minho! The sequence! Come on!" Shouts Chuck.

"Uh, Six! Four! Eight! Three! You got it!?" As the code is entered, the walls begin to slowly drop down on the Grievers. The first two are squashed, but Thomas has to think fast and quickly throw his spear at the 3rd and final one to stop it from just about getting through. The doorway closes and we are all descended into darkness. I reach for Thomas' hand as I know he was stood next to me when the doors closed. He squeezes it tightly in reassurance and we wait for the door to open back up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the doors do finally reopen, we are faced with a long tunnel leading for what looks like miles in both directions. We walk down one direction of the tunnel, following the direction in which the lights turned on. After a while, we reach a door with a green light switched on, whu=ic Thomas seemingly recognised. Above is a sign reading the words 'EXIT'.  This is our way out, we're finally safe.  Thomas reaches for the door handle cautiously, pulling it down and pushing the door ajar. Once open, we can hear a faint alarm blaring and there's flashing yellow lights down the hallway. The room is littered with dead bodies, presumably of those who worked with W.C.K.D. 

"What happened here?" Winston asks the question we would all over the answer to. We reach a circular room where there is a large table with brain scans on the screens floating in the middle of the table. Thomas clicks a red button on one of the screens, prompting a video message to pop up on one of the larger screens. There sits a woman, she's wearing a white coat and her hair is bleached blond.