Chapter 9 - I Definitely Had A Thing For You

My sleep that night is even worse than usual. I am repeatedly checking on Thomas, making sure he's not too warm, not too cold. And on top of that, I'm having nightmare, after nightmare, after nightmare of the night's events. Then again, I think everyone is. Teresa seems to be the only one who remains sound asleep as I hear screams of the other Gladers at random points in the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Thomas finally wakes it is late morning. His eyes flitter open, and I rush to make sure he's okay.

"Hey, you feeling okay?"

"What the hell were you thinking!?" Chuck shouts.

"I second that!" I add in quickly. Thomas sits himself up and turns his head to look out the Pit door. There sits Newt, Chuck and Minho.

"What happened?" He asked, confused. 

"Gally's taken control. He said we had a choice. Either join him or get banished at sundown with you," Newt explains.

"And being the pussies they are, they joined him," I smile sarcastically at them.

"Yeah, and look where 'not being a pussy' got you," Minho retaliates.

"Anyway, Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all of this happened," Teresa adds to Newt's explanation.

"Well he's been right so far," Thomas confesses, causing the rest of us to look at him, puzzled. He explains it all to us. How he worked for W.C.K.D and how Teresa did too. How they put us in the Glade. How he helped them run tests on all of our brains.  

"Why would they send us up here if we were with them?" Teresa enquires.

"It doesn't matter,"

"He's right," Newt says, "It doesn't matter. Any of it. Because the people we were before the maze, they don't even exist anymore. These 'Creators' took care of that. But what does matter, is who we are now and what we do right now. you went into the maze and you found a way out,"

"Yeah, but if I hadn't, Alby would still be alive,"

"Maybe. But I know that if he were here, he'd be telling you the exact same thing: pick your arse up and finish what you started. Because if we do nothing, that means Alby died for nothing, and I'm sorry but I can't have that," Thomas nods solemnly in understanding.

"Okay..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the morning is spent in hushed voices between Thomas and me.

"So... I saw something else while I was out..."

"What?"

"I saw you, the last time I ever saw you, I think,"

"And? What happened?"

"I didn't really get much out of it,"

"Tell me what you know,"

"So I don't know if we had a thing going on or anything, but I know I, erm, I, erm, I definitely had a thing for you," He says with a slight blush rising to his cheeks, "Anyway, I overheard W.C.K.D talking about prepping you for the maze. So I tried to help you, I tried to get you out of there or at least hidden, but they found us and they took you away. I screamed for them to stop, but they wouldn't listen. I didn't see you again... That's why I recognised you the first time you offered me your hand when I fell over in the middle of the Glade," I laugh at the memory of seeing a terrified Thomas faceplant on the floor.

"And that's why I recognised you too, why it felt like I'd known you forever," He nodded slightly. 

"Do you think this plan will work?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"I don't know, but it's worth a shot,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At sundown, Teresa, Thomas and I were all dragged out from the Pit. Thomas, however, was pretending to be unconscious. We were all led towards three wooden stakes in the ground by the opening of the maze. They dropped Thomas on the floor and held Teresa and me by our wrists. A few of the other Gladers stepped in, trying to convince Gally that it's not right, but he's not having any of it.

"You really think banishing us is gonna solve anything?" Teresa interjects.

"No. But this isn't a banishing. It's an offering," Gally says calmly.

"Wait! What!?" I shout as Teresa and I are backed up against the wooden stakes and ties to them.

"You really think I'm gonna let Thomas back into the maze after what he's done!? Look around you. Look at our Glade. This is the only way," I see Minho and Newt give a quick nod to each other, "And when the Grievers get what they came here for everything goes back to the way it was,"

"Are you listening to this? Why are you all just standing there? He's crazy," I keep arguing.

"You, shut up,"

"If you stay here, the Grievers are going to come back, and they are going to keep coming back until you're all dead!"

"Shut up! Tie him up! Do you hear me? I said tie him up!" But as they begin to lift Thomas up, that's when it all kicks off. Thomas elbows one of them in the stomach, grabbing his spear and pointing it at the other Glader. Newt pulls out a sword, Teresa and I kick both of the guys guarding us in the balls and we are cut free by Fry and Newt. We all stand in front of the maze doors, holding out our weapons, Newt throwing me my bow and arrows.

"Full of surprises aren't you?" Gally shrugs.

"You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving. Anyone else who wants to come now's your last chance,"

"Don't listen to him, he's just trying to scare you,"

"I'm not trying to scare you. You're already scared. Alright, I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spend the rest of it in here. We don't belong here. Okay? This place isn't our home. We were put here. Okay? We were trapped here. At least out there, we have a choice. We can make it outta here. I know that" A few of the other Gladers, including Winston and Jeff, make their way over to us, leaving only a handful left with Gally.

"Gally, it's over. Just come with us," Gally just nods, not saying anything and I think that he might actually come with us until,

"Good luck against the Grievers," So we turn and run into the maze.

{{Word Count: 1036}}