Love Song

Techno hates the rain. He wishes it didn't exist.

Well, not really. The rain is, logically speaking, very valuable for the environment. Priceless, even. It's especially important right now when their earth is, you know, slowly dying out because of the inherent stupidity of humanity. Rain is simply just part of the water cycle which is also very important, and he doubts he would be here right now if not for the eventual effect of rainfall on the earth creating the first forms of life. Well, he also doesn't recall asking to be created, but that's not the point. The point is that he doesn't really hate the rain and doesn't really think it's stupid because he actually has a functioning brain, mind you. How else would he excel at so many classes? Or better yet, how else would he be so good at Minecraft?

It's a relief that the umbrella that's heading towards you is a small one

This situation is unexpected, right when our shoulders touched

He's just not a fan of rain like this, of downpour creating splashing puddles and slippery sidewalks on a day when all he just wants to do is get home after a long eight hours at school. Not to imply that he's clumsy and would otherwise have trouble navigating the wet streets, of course. Nope, totally not. It's only because he doesn't like just how gloomier his mood becomes after years of associating rain with sadness, thanks to movies. Really, that sort of consistent cinematic decision was just some sort of test drive for mass psychological conditioning at that point. Give it a few more years and maybe the government will start doing the same. Or maybe not. He hopes not, he still wants to get better at Minecraft and being under mind control doesn't exactly leave him with a lot of leeway to practice that. Ah, shit, he keeps going off track. Where was he? Right, going home. In the rain. Ugh.

'Where can I find a place to walk in?'

Even when I'm talking to myself, my steps keep slowing down

I can't stop, I can't stop this feeling

Despite all his complaining, Techno does eventually pull out an umbrella to prepare for the walk. One way or another, he's going home and he'd prefer it sooner rather than later. Even if it means walking in the rain... getting his shoes wet... getting his clothes soaked despite the umbrella's best attempts... getting his hair all weird from the amount of humidity in the air... Ugh.

He's so very rudely interrupted from lamenting his fate when someone abruptly crashes through the main doors of the school, frantically running then coming to a halt right next to him. Techno is a human being, and is therefore curious so of course he looks next to him to see who it is.

Oh, it's Dream. Supposedly his rival of sorts according to the rest of their peers, but really they're just amicable friends that come head to head when it comes to grades. Sure, maybe some friendly competition here and there, but nowhere near what the rumors imply. That's why when Dream waves and begins to walk towards him, he just waves back. He swears it's not just because he wants to spend time with him, nope. He's just being a good friend by waiting for Dream.

I can even hear your breathing sound since we're this close

I wish time would stop like this yeah

"Hey, Techno!" Dream greets with a smile. Techno turns away, of course. He's just awkward, it's not because he feels butterflies flutter in his stomach when that smile is directed towards him. "Are you heading home?"

"Yeah. I've got nothing better to do."

"Do you mind if I...?" Dream trails off and gestures towards the umbrella with one hand, and Techno takes just one glance at him to find that he doesn't have anything on him aside from his own bag. He rolls his eyes in fond exasperation and just shrugs. Of course he forgot his umbrella, he was probably rushing out in the first place because he thought he could make it home before it got too heavy.

"Sure. C'mere." He holds his umbrella so that it goes over both of them, letting Dream adjust accordingly and oh.

I really hate the rain, but today I came to like it a bit

No, don't stop just yet

The rain can soak my left shoulder a little bit more

Dream's side is pressed flush against him, and the warmth is just about to make him dizzy. Their arms are squished together uncomfortably, and Techno instinctively moves to wrap an arm around Dream to remedy that. What's worse is that the other doesn't even attempt to push him off, instead snuggling even closer to him beyond what Techno thought was physically possible. What's even worse than worse is that Techno finds that he doesn't particularly mind the proximity right now, instead it seems like he actually likes it. Oh god, what has he become?

"Shall we go?" Dream breathes out in a whisper and giggles, and oh god Techno can feel it more than hear it. He feels the rumble of Dream's chest as he speaks and laughs, and it's just short of maddening.

The love song inside the rain

Love song, love song, yeah

We make our own island

Techno only nods numbly, swallowing the lump in his throat and guiding them as they walk out of school premises. Their houses are just a few blocks away from each other, but Dream points towards the other direction and Techno just follows him. The walk is just ten minutes long, but their steps are so slow and they take their time. The rain is supposed to make them gloomy and cold, but Techno only feels joy and warmth in his heart the longer they spend under it.

Maybe the rain isn't so bad, after all.

Like this, love this love this love this rain

Under the rain that falls upon us, all day