Inevitabilis

Techno hadn't always been this cold and calculated.

There was a time, long ago, when he was just fresh out of the hospital after years of being bedridden. There was a time when his long pink hair was tied up in a meticulous braid, when square thick-rimmed glasses were perched on the bridge of his nose. There was a time when he stumbled over his two feet constantly, clumsy and weak from misuse. There was a time when he fumbled with his words every time he spoke, not entirely quite sure what to say and how to word it. There was a time, long ago, when he was nowhere near the person he is right now.

Of course, Dream had been the one to change all that. Dream had been the one to pull him in by the arm, to take him out of his shell and encourage him along the way. Dream had been the one to smile at him kindly and be patient with him as he tries to figure things out. Dream had been the one to raise his spirits and show him that he was worth something. Dream had been his first friend, his beloved companion, his light in the darkness.

Dream had also been the one to save his life. Dream had been the one to come swooping in, axe in hand as he slashes down the strange creatures that had been chasing him.

Later, Techno learns that he was just attacked by a witch. Dream is a magical, able to harness magical powers to protect those in danger. Kyubey, part of a white catlike alien race, grants one wish in exchange for the service of slaying witches that hunt and kill humans in order to feed on them. Dream is one of the magicals in charge of their city, patrolling it every night and making sure that there are no witches lurking nearby. Dream is so selfless and kind, so heroic and caring that Techno just wants to follow in his footsteps. He isn't quite sure what to wish for yet, so he just tags along on nightly patrols because it's never quite too early to learn about something he was sure to do anyway. Those nights spent walking alone with Dream and learning the intimacies of a world that only they seem to know are times he holds close to his heart, wishing for them to never change.

Except it doesn't last forever. Of course, if there are strong magicals like Dream, then there have to be equally strong witches. The magicals of the city face their biggest obstacle yet, an amalgamation of dozens of witches known as a Walpurgisnacht. They end up as nothing but prey to its onslaught, and Techno finds himself sobbing over Dream's dying body surrounded by the desolate wasteland of their city in ruins. By all means, it should've been the end for them. There was nothing left to rebuild, and the destruction was far too much to fix. Well, that's how it would've gone if Kyubey wasn't there right next to one of the last remaining survivors.

It only made sense that Techno's wish would be to relive meeting him for the first time again, and this time he would be the one to protect him instead.

Tick, tock, turn the cogs for the first time.

He's sent back in time, and doesn't waste time in seeking Dream out in order to join him as a magical this time. Albeit his confusion, the other accepts the proposal. There's a sense of satisfaction that courses through Techno when he can consider them to be equals. All he's ever wanted at this point was to be able to protect Dream, to be able to repay him for all he had done for him. Now that he has the power and opportunity to do so, he basks in the happiness it brings him when he successfully saves Dream several times over. He could do this forever, really. He could go on late night patrols with Dream all the time, like a secret only for the two of them to know. It becomes like an inside joke to them, in cryptic remarks and hushed giggles and playful teasing that makes Techno want to freeze time so that the moment lasts forever.

Things are never that simple, however, because of course Walpurgisnacht brings them defeat once again.

Tick, tock, turn the cogs for the fourth time.