Grandpa's Theme

"...and for my very special grandson... I want you to have this sealed envelope. No, no, don't open it yet... have patience. Now, listen close... There will come a day when you feel crushed by the burden of modern life... and your bright spirit will fade before a growing emptiness. When that happens, my boy, you'll be ready for this gift. Now, let grandpa rest."

The words play like a broken record on loop in Techno's mind over the monotonous white noise of typing coworkers and shuffling papers. It's the same tune every single day. The memory flashes in his mind over the monochrome neutral grays of his office cubicle. It's the same sight every single day. The muscles in his back scream out in pain as he stretches in his cushioned seat. It's the same feeling every single day. He sighs and slumps down onto his desk once again, not quite because of the usual boredom or restlessness but more from exhaustion.

This damn job is making him so, so tired. He needs a break, an escape of some kind.

This isn't the first time these thoughts have plagued his mind. This isn't the first time he's wanted to just run away and forget about everything. This isn't the first time he's wanted to start anew. This isn't the first time he's looked at the world in distaste, longing for simplicity and serenity amongst a fast paced society. This isn't the first time he's pulled back the desk drawer, staring longingly at the gift bestowed unto him with tendrils of temptation crawling at the edges of his heart.

This is, however, the first time he acts on his desire. He grabs the envelope and carefully opens it, not wanting to rip or tear anything from his beloved grandfather.

"Dear Techno,

If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change.

The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.

I've enclosed the deed to that place... my pride and joy: my farm. It's located in Essempee, on the southern coast. It's the perfect place to start your new life.

This was my most precious gift of all, and now it's yours. i know you'll honor the family name, my boy. Good luck.

Love, grandpa."

A farm... Techno didn't expect that. He didn't even know his grandfather owned a farm, he must've moved out before he was born. He didn't know a single thing about agriculture nor botany. He has no experience in taking care of a single plant, much less an entire field of them. He studied accounting and was subject to the corporate scheme the moment he graduated college. Farming was often filled with arduous physical labor, and while he wasn't the weakest, he definitely wasn't the most physically fit to work for hours under the sun after a year of desk jobs. He never did that well in physical education classes in school, and he barely even works out anymore.

All his senses were telling him this was a very irrational idea. He can't just throw away years of education for something so uncertain. He can't just sacrifice stability for what could be just a few moments of glee. He can't just go against what he's worked for his entire life just because of prolonged fatigue. But maybe, just maybe... he didn't need to be so rational all the time.

A farm is definitely not what he expected, but it might just be exactly what he needs.

-

A year later, as he carries a large basket of this spring's first harvest of plump strawberries towards the shipping bin, he passes by a green motorcycle and someone working on its tires. When a freckled face framed by flaxen hair looks at him with an emerald gaze and flashes a bright smile, he smiles back wholeheartedly.

A farm is definitely exactly what he needed.