Hyōri Ittai

"Why do we continue to battle, my King?"

Wooden pieces click against each other, a sound familiar to both of them after so many hours spent like this.

"It is essential. As the ruler, I need to show my prowess and excellence at every craft."

"I say you've done well already. You've gotten so far, improved so much when just a week ago you didn't even know how to play."

"It's not enough. You are the world champion at gungi, Dream, and until I defeat you I cannot rest."

"You don't need to be the greatest at everything. You're already much physically stronger than I am."

"That isn't everything, you know. Not anymore, at least. I've learned there's much more to strength than the physical aspects of it."

"Is that so? What changed your mind, then?"

"You." It comes without hesitation. "You've taught me the strength of the mind, the strength of resolve and determination."

"You're being silly. I doubt I've done that much."

"Don't undermine yourself. You're the best in the world in an intellectual board game, you've pioneered so many of its maneuvers and techniques and done it all while blind."

"Ah, still. I'm weak, you know? I won't be able to hold my own in a fight."

"That you may be." A hand comes up to hold a gungi piece in his callused palm, and the moment is spent in thoughtful contemplation. "But so long as we fight within the bounds of your domain, you are untouchable. Just as how I am on the battlefield. The potentials of different kinds of strengths and how they may best each other... it's something you've taught me that I can never forget."

"You flatter me, my King."

"I only say the truth, Dream."

"Yes, yes. If you say so."

-

"Why didn't you ask for help!? Here, and here... You're covered in blood!" Fingers run over tanned skin, feeling for more wounds on its surface.

"I... I'm sorry. It was so early. I didn't want to bother anyone."

"You're a special guest here, Dream. I can't allow any harm to come to you until I've defeated you."

"..."

"Wh... Why are you crying? Are you alright? Are there more injuries I should be aware of?"

"I'm fine. I apologize. It's just that..." A droplet falls to the ground. "No one's ever been so kind to me. You're the first one. Thank you."

"I don't think you should thank me." A heartbeat of nothingness, then a silent admission comes in a whisper. "I'm not the kind of person who deserves that."

"Nonsense. Everyone deserves to be thanked when they've done something nice, yes?"

"I wouldn't call this nice. I just said I'm only keeping you alive to eventually defeat you."

"And yet you're freaking out over nonlethal injuries?"

"... I wouldn't allow any harm to come to you lest it endanger your ability to play."

"So long as I still have my sense of mind, my King, I assure you that I'll be able to play."

"You are a stubborn fool."