Chapter 8- Voucher

*Zora's POV* 

"Good afternoon King-" A man in a doctors coat sat behind a cluttered desk. He fixed his glasses as he looked up at us. "Damn it, King! You wait till my office is wrecked for you to bring her here." He started swiping papers in his trash bin.

I didn't question why he said 'her'. Maybe King had mentioned me once or twice. But something about him struck me as familiar. I just couldn't put my finger on it

"It's your fault for being such a clusterfuck, Marcus." King chuckled, "besides," he then looked down at me, "you don't need to try and impress her."

"Oh, this must be the reason all of your relationships were short." His boss chugged down the rest of whatever was in his mug. 

It was an odd relationship these two had. I've never seen a boss and employee act so... friendly.

King looked at me again his cute face flushed red, "do you know how to shut the fuck up?" He hissed. Marcus burst into laughter as he opened his file cabinet. 

"What you didn't tell her? Come on King!" He pulled out a few folders thick with paper. He turned to us and slapped the papers on the side of his desk before approaching me.

"Your boyfriend has literally had 2-day relationships since the day he started working here." The more Marcus spoke the redder King's face got. It was so cute.

"Geez shut up!" My boyfriend scowled. 

"No, I'm snitching man-"

"Oh my God." King put his hand over his face.

"He would come in the office every 2 to 3 days and give me the name of some other woman saying that he thinks it might work. I knew they would never work because he never actually brought them to my office. He just talked about them. You were the first woman he's ever brought here, but I'm not at all surprised it was you." His boss had spilt all of the tea. I looked up at King who looked in the opposite direction. His ears were damn near red as he kept his face covered. 

But then I began to question, why did he keep emphasizing me? Did King talk about me a lot? Or maybe... did Marcus know me per se?

"Marcus..." I whispered fiddling with my hair.

"Zora?" He smiled.

"Do I know you? Or you know... me?"

Marcus chuckled. "Of course you wouldn't remember me. I'm Marcus Atkinson..." 

I stared at him blankly. 

"... That one fat kid that always asked you for your pudding at lunch." He sighed. My eyes widened. 

"But you don't- you lost weight! A lot of it !!" I could hardly believe what he was telling me. I never knew his name, I just knew that he really like the chocolate pudding there. But to think, it looks like he'd lost over a hundred pounds, and grew at least a foot. He and King were literally the same height. 

"Sorry I didn't know your name... " I whispered.

His face flushed red as played in his hair. "It's uh okay.. really." 

I was confused at his sudden change in demeanour. King looked down at me and chuckled.

"Let me let you in on a decade-old secret." He grabbed my chin, "Nearly the entire school had a crush on you at one point in time." 

"...what?" 

"It's true." Marcus shrugged.

"That doesn't make any sense."

"The fact that you're naïve makes you all the more adorable." King pinched my cheek.

"But seriously... think about it, second year valentines day, how many gifts did you get? " I pondered for a minute before he answered for me.

"More than a hundred babe. You don't remember opening your locker and hundreds of cards and little gifts poured out? Balloons were attached to it, hearts were painted on it, literally, every class you went to someone else brought gifts for you... you don't remember that? I literally had to give you my bookbag so you could carry everything."

"I only remember the one you gave me. It was a really big white teddy bear that held a box of chocolate and said 'I love you..." I dug deep into my memories. That was the first time King and I kissed. I could never forget it. When I looked at King again his face was all red.

"Ahem." Marcus gathered our attention. "King, you're here for your paperwork no?"

"Right sorry." King nuzzled his nose against mines before holding his hands out for the several stacks of paper.

"Everything is labelled." He pointed at the writing on the folders. King nodded and fanned through the papers before focusing his attention back on me. 

"You ready?" He whispered. I nodded and latched onto him.

"Hey! Uh, this might seem a bit coincidental, but there is going to be a reunion at the old school on Saturday. You guys should come, you know... since you'll only be here for so long. It'd surprise everyone." Marcus rubbed the back of his neck. I looked up at King who looked back and smiled.

"Maybe."

*
*
*

*Kings POV*

"Babe!" I called Zora. 

"GO AWAY!" She yelled. I entered the bedroom just to see the bathroom door shut.

What was this attitude?

"Open the door." I knocked lightly. No answer. I turned the knob just to find that it was locked.

"Zora, what's wrong?" I whispered.

"Nothing... leave me alone." She sounded muffled. I sighed and nodded. 

"Alright. Whenever you're ready just talk to me ok, baby? I'll be here." I put my hand on the door. I didn't expect her to respond, I just wanted her to know that I'm here. I don't know what's going on... but I just hope she's ok.