Six

Cael

Fights have broken out all over the world; Repentant vs. Unrepentant. They've been doing a good job for the most part at hiding the true natures of the fights, but eventually people are going to see things they shouldn't. Already the news is reporting numerous fights breaking out of seemingly nowhere all across the globe. Of course, some of us work for the news sources and for the news, so the amount of fights being reported is less than it should be.

My kind is on edge; I'm on edge.

It's on our blood to feel this way.

Sam says he can see where Khiara's soul is if he concentrates hard enough – but only at night, and he can only catch small glimpses. He says she seems okay, and has a friend, at least to help her make it through, another human. Her trials are a blur to him.

It's enough, I suppose, for now. It makes life bearable to know that her body is being kept alive in wait for her soul to return.

If there is a way to get her back faster though, I'd like to find it.

The sound of the machines she's hooked up to make a strange background music of whirrs and clicks in contrast to Cara's constant nervous gum chewing. You'd think that it was her duty to chew that gum, the way she's going at it.

It's almost comical. I'm actually able to crack a small smile, and when she notices me staring at her, she smiles back.

"So," says Cara. "You gonna re-open the café soon?"

I shrug. "It doesn't seem like it matters now."

Cara nods her head. "I know what you mean, man."

"Could you two stop your pity party?" says Verchiel from the doorway of the room, two cups of coffee in her hands and Tristan in tow with two more. "We have important shit to be talking about."

I sigh.

Cara chews her gum.

"Damn it, don't throw a fit, you diaper babies," Verchiel mutters as she walks towards us. She's added purple to her hair, and it's a strange blend of purple, blonde, and black.

She hands me my coffee, and then hands Cara hers. "I'm worried that Sam's stunt in the field has drawn attention to this shit heap of a town, and more importantly, to us."

She takes a sip of her coffee and cringes. "Ugh, tastes disgusting."

"Sorry," says Tristan, shrugging. "I think I forgot to add sugar to one of them...I guess it was yours."

"It's bitter. Like you," says Cara, but there's a smile on her lips.

Verchiel seems caught off guard for a second by Cara's joke, but smiles back. "Yeah, well, I'll live."

"But seriously, I have news. Just yesterday in Sri Lanka there was a mass killing of twenty of our kind, by four of the unrepentant dressed as Buddhist monks! They're calling it 'a strong move against good karma' on the news, like it's some sort of funny movie headline."

"Christ," whispers Cara. My thoughts echo hers.

"There's more," says Tristan. "This morning a whole housing block in Canada was set on fire, killing humans and Nephilim alike. The Nephilim were, of course, on the side of the repentant."

Cara nearly chokes on her gum. "That's fucked up!"

Verchiel nods. "Yes, it is. What's more fucked up is that it is only the beginning. It's going to get worse. It's affecting the humans, and they're going to wonder why, suddenly, the whole world is becoming a lot more violent than it was before; and the world is pretty violent already without this weird, not-quite-battle going on."

"So what does it mean for us...for Khiara?"

"There are other Rephaim in the world, and they want to come here. To meet Sam, and to see Khiara. I think maybe they can help us, being so powerful, but they run the risk of being killed in the process if they're found out. We're going to have to move Khiara out of the hospital and to somewhere where they wouldn't be able to sense her."

"And what of Sam?" I can't risk losing my youngest family member.

Everyone is silent for a moment, and Cara says, "My grandma's place. I know magic doesn't work on Khiara to wake her up, but it can probably hide her. My grandma has a couple of large cabins in the woods by her house usually reserved for company; they just hold beds and bathrooms, but it's good enough. We can all go there. Anyone who wants to join us can go there to meet us. It's safe, I promise."

"No," I say. "This doesn't feel right."

"What other choice do we have?" says Tristan, calmly. The girls nod in agreement.

A groan escapes my throat. "What about Leliel and Samael? Are they going to be okay with this?"

"We'll call them now," says Verchiel. "Gimme your phone. Mine's dead."

I wordlessly hand her my phone. She smirks in response, and then dials Leliel's number.