Seventeen

Cael

Khiara is kissing me deeply, kissing me like she needs air and I'm her only fresh source.

We're in my apartment on the couch. There's an infomercial on in the background talking about getting some pan for twenty-nine ninety-nine plus shipping, and the kiss tastes like coffee and smells like soap.

My head is spinning, trying to remember what my problem with this scenario is when she's kissing me like this. What could be wrong?

There's something wrong.

We...shouldn't be here.

Suddenly, Khiara pulls back and says, "Camael," looking into my eyes.

"Yes?"

Her eyes roll to the back of her skull and she collapses in front of me.

I wake up with a start.

It was only a dream.

"Shit," I mutter to myself.

It was so vivid.

I sit up in bed, and look around the room. I'm in one of Cara's grandmother's cabins, one that isn't heavily occupied. I stay here with Verchiel, Leliel, Samael and Lisa.

Currently I'm the only one occupying the cabin.

I have no idea what time it is, only that I slept deeply.

I sit up, sighing.

I miss Khiara. I only had her for a short period of time and yet that time is everything to me.

I get out of the bed, and stand, stretching. I don't bother to put on a sweater before plunging myself into the cold outside as I walk to Cara's grandmother's cottage.

When I enter, it smells like sugar cookies.

Everybody save Leliel is sitting in the kitchen, dunking cookies into tea or milk.

"Cael," Cara says. "You're up."

I nod. "Yeah. What time is it?"

"Noon," Tristan replies.

Oh, I slept in.

"Shouldn't you be in school?" I ask Tristan and Cara.

I realize Lisa is in the room too. "Shouldn't you be at school?" I direct towards her.

They exchange a look. "School doesn't seem that important," Tristan says. "What with everything going on."

"What have you told your parents?" I ask.

Tristan shrugs. "My mom thinks I'm at a fancy boarding school right now."

I look at Cara. "What's your excuse?"

She laughs. "My mom hasn't cared about me for years. She knows I'm at my grandmother's and figures I'm no longer her problem."

"Hmm," I reply. "Good enough."

I take a seat at the kitchen table, across from Cara.

Grandma Coal stands and moves to put on a pot of coffee.

"So we've been talking," Samael says. "And we think we know of a way to help Khiara's soul pass the trials."

I'm all ears. "What way is that?" I ask.

I pick up a sugar cookie and nibble on it.

"You become human," Samael replies.

I laugh. "That's not possible."