Twenty-seven

Khiara

Cael finally breaks the silence when he asks, so very quietly, "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

Blushing, I answer him. "Sometimes, why?" This is deep territory, and even though I really like him, we just met and are already moving so fast.

"I know a story," he says. "It's about an angel who fell in love with a human. Would you like to hear it?"

I nod, and a rush of relief flows through me as I realize he was just prefacing his story.

"His name was Camael, his calling was divine justice and love, and he was a very powerful Archangel. One day, as he was watching upon Earth, he came across a small village of farmers where a little girl had just been born. This little girl's soul was the brightest, most pure soul that had ever graced the earth and he found her so very beautiful." Cael's eyes have taken on this faraway look, almost as if he were living the story and not just telling it.

"You see, after Lucifer Fell from Heaven, there was a prophesy that the purest soul on Earth would be the one to bring the Great Battle between the sides of good and evil, and all of the angels who'd fallen and were repentant would be able to go home to Heaven if they so choose, and the un-repentant would be forced to reside in Hell, having no choice to remain on earth at all."

"Camael fell in love with the girl as she grew older, because as an angel he could see everything she could be, everything she could do, and it was magnificent. But God grew angry with him, for he was not supposed to love any human in that way. He was just supposed to do his duties."

I find myself gasping at how unjust that seems. Cael continues. "So he was banished from Heaven, and down to Earth. By the time he got there, nine days had passed since he'd last seen the child. He woke up weak, in a crater his body had created upon impact just outside of the girl's village, and though he was bloody and naked as a new born baby he walked until he reached the village. It was the dead of night when he was found by the town's priest, who took him in. There he was cared for until he was strong enough to walk around town. The first two days he walked around, he didn't see the girl and her family, but on the third day – on the third day, what he saw was terrible. From a little house, her mother, father and older sister emerged, their faces stricken."

"What happened?" I ask my heart racing.

"She'd died. The girl's young soul had been reclaimed, and it was Camael's fault. He staggered back to his room in the priest's house only to find Naarai, the angel of children, waiting for him, holding the child's beautiful soul in her arms. It looked just like her, for the body is only a shell which carries our true essence. 'You should not be here,' he whispered to her."

"'I thought you might want to say goodbye. I know how you loved her.' Naarai responded." Cael squeezes my hand, and I realize his words have moved me to tears.

"He began to cry and was confused at what this feeling was, but when Naarai handed him the girl, he stopped. Her soul was sleeping peacefully, nestled in his arms. 'She will be brought back to His folds, Camael. God will not punish her any more for your mistake. The world is simply not ready for the Battle, and I suspect Father has other, hidden reasons as to the timing of her departure from the living realm just as you seem to have entered into it.'"

"Camael nodded. 'Why do I feel such despair? Is that what it is, to be human? To have water leak from my eyes, and to feel...what is this?' he asked, his hand going to his heart as he handed the child back to her. Naarai smiled kindly, just as the priest walked into the room, unsurprised at the sight of the angel holding the baby."