Fourteen

Sam

Their names are Gregori, Juniper, Hakim, and Jacinda. They are my fellow Rephaim, the ones who opened a portal to Armageddon that I stepped through what feels like just moments ago.

It feels like it just happened, like I just dropped Rexy and left him behind.

It was hours ago.

Mommy and Daddy and everyone must be worried by now. Only Kiki knows who I'm with.

Or maybe they've all figured it out by now.

I can't be certain right now, because my powers to look in on people have grown weak after talking with Kiki.

I just have to hope that my family understand that I had to leave. I just had to go.

We Rephaim are the guards of Armageddon. We've set up camp and we wait. We wait for the Battle.

People are already fighting around the world.

We cannot stop them.

Gergori says that we too are pure. Not in the same way as Khiara, because we aren't human, but he says that our souls are pure as well.

He also says that Khiara has to pass the trials. We can help her a little, but mostly we have to let her get on with them herself.

I said that it wasn't fair, but he said that we were lucky to be getting away with it at all.

So I sit in my tent, in my sleeping bag – it was the middle of the night back home and I should be sleeping Gregori said – all alone.

I'm being very brave.

I think Morrigan would be proud of me.