Sixteen

Khiara

I wake up gasping for air. I was definitely not supposed to come back to life just now, and I have no idea how it just happened. It's like my soul doesn't want to stay put.

Camael. I know him. I don't know who he is to me but I know who he is. He's an angel of love. A member of the Fallen. He fell in love with a human soul and was sent down to the realm of the living.

I know the story well, somehow.

I'm definitely not supposed to.

A knock at my door startles me.

"Hello?" I call.

"It's Hassina. I was sent to check on you...is everything okay?"

Hassina can talk now, huh? She sounds so young.

"Yes," I lie. "Everything's fine."

"Can I come in?"

Well, since I'm awake, "Sure," I say.

She enters, closes the door, and walks over to my bed. She sits down on the foot of the bed, casually.

"Hello," she says. "I'm to stay with you until morning."

Oh is she? "Well, hi."

"Can I tell you a story?" Hassina asks, eyes round. "I think it's important that you hear it."

I nod, though I'm uncertain. Is she supposed to be telling me stories?

"Will you get in trouble for telling me this story?" I ask.

She thinks about it for a second and says, "I don't know. I don't think so. I was told to stay with you, and so why can't I tell you a story?"

True.

"Well okay then," she says. "Settle in. It doesn't have a happy ending."

Oh. It's one of those types of stories.

"Long ago, in Ancient Mesopotamia, lived a family of four. They were poor but wanted for nothing, and they were happy. There was the children, Hassina and Aahmes. Hassina was the eldest and she had inherited her mother's looks. Aahmes was the baby of the family and he was spoiled by his parents."

"There was the father, . He was strong and reliable. He worked for the Pharaoh. Lastly there was the mother. Her name was Verchiel. To everybody around them, they appeared to be a normal family, but the truth is that they were not. Verchiel was one of the Fallen, and her children were Nephilim."

I'm intrigued because it tied in to what happened to me tonight – I saw a member of the Fallen, and now I'm hearing a story about one.

"So, as I said, they lived a charmed life. Verchiel was an artisan, and so she worked in the market. The children were often free to do as they pleased, left home alone most days. Nobody thought anything would happen to them. That assumption would be wrong."

"Douma was a member of the Fallen who'd been in love with Verchiel before they both Fell – she'd Fallen first, and then he'd Fallen soon after."

"Why did she Fall?" I ask.

"She fell for Aamesseker," Hassina replies.

"Why did Douma Fall?"

"He did not wish Verchiel well. He had hatred in his heart," she replies.

"Tragic," I say. "How hatred is bred even in the hearts of angels."

"Indeed," she says. "So one day, Douma came upon the family's dwelling. Both children were home. He struck with the sick efficiency of someone who has killed before. We called out for our mother but she wasn't there. Our father came home in time for Douma to finish him off as we lay there dying. My mother came when it was too late. Our souls had been collected. I was allowed to watch, as my mother came across the horror that was our bodies. I watched as Douma consoled her and lied to her face. And then I was sent to Heaven."

What a depressing story. "So that's the story of how you died, huh?"

She nods. "I think it's important you know. Later on you'll thank me. For now you should try to get some sleep."

I lay back on the pillows and try to get comfy.

"What will you do till morning?" I ask.

She smiles. "Watch over you of course," Hassina replies.

I close my eyes, and let the darkness take me.