Twelve

Khiara

After we've finished eating, Miss Adephagia has returned with two other people who I instantly recognize! The Principal and the Teacher! From where I couldn't tell you, but I know them.

"Thank you for being patient, children," says the Teacher. "My name is The Teacher. I know that may have seemed rather frustrating and pointless. Well, now that you have finished eating the lovely meal provided to you, it is time you begin class for the day."

There's an awful lot of groaning at that, and the Principal steps in to defend his counterpart. "My name is the Principal. Not to worry! This class today will be fun, I think. It's all about choices. We want you to be comfortable in your stay here, and we believe that sleep is a huge part of comfort, is it not?"

I brighten. "Are we getting our own rooms, then?"

The man beams at me, "Why yes, darling, you are! You may of course choose a suit mate whose room you will share a bathroom with if you wish. Or not, if you'd like your own privacy."

"Dead people don't need to use the bathroom," mumbles Sophia.

"Well. you've been able to use them the whole time you were here. They've always been available if you'd only asked. I suppose none of you had to relieve yourselves, then?"

Nobody says anything to that. We haven't.

Miss Adephagia gestures for us all to get up and we leave the big dining hall, the Teacher and the Principal behind. We're steered down a rather boring looking hallway, and then two more, until at the end we enter a room about as large as the dining hall, filled to the brim with everything you could possibly need to furnish a bedroom for each one of us ten times over.

"That's a lot of stuff!" hoots Caleb, fist pumping the air excitedly.

Everybody makes various sounds of agreement.

"Today's lesson is simply about choice. You can choose everything you need to make your room comfortable and personalized, but there are items that you are not permitted to choose. Those will be marked with red tape. Anything marked with green tape is up for grabs. I will give you some pink tape to put on the things you decide to choose. Do you understand?"

Everyone nods enthusiastically.

"Well, go on!" she says, "start choosing!"

The room becomes alive with the sound of our feet pattering on the floor as we run around the room to look at the various objects. Unity is immediately drawn towards a futon that's decked out in rainbow themed covers and pillows. I smile because it suits her personality.

I find myself standing by a queen-sized bed that has probably more pillows on it than it needs – six – and a warm looking white duvet as well as a knitted throw-blanket that ties it all together nicely. This is the bed that I want. I put some pink tape on one of the pillows of the bed and move on.

I try my best to ignore everybody else around me, as a few fights have broken out over objects, and decide to look for a bed side table next. I choose a small brown one that won't take up too much space, since I don't know how big the room will be and since I've chosen such a big bed.

Suddenly, something catches my eye. It's a framed picture of an older couple, maybe in their mid forties early fifties. They're smiling big dopey smiles, and they couldn't possibly look any happier.

I pick it up, and trace the outlines of their smiling faces, and tell them that I remember them even if I don't know who they are. That even though I don't know what is going on, exactly, that I will never forget their faces again. Or at least, not for long.