Thirty

Cael

Leliel and the Fae that were living on the property have left for Israel and so I am in charge of my niece. Luckily, Lisa isn't hard to take care of – she basically takes care of herself, besides meals, and those are covered by Grandma Coal.

I've tried to provide a steady stream of conversation Lisa's way, but she knows I'm not up for it and has told me it's okay if I don't want to talk.

I don't want to talk.

I don't want to bake.

I don't want to make music.

I just want to stay by Khiara's side.

Right now I'm in the kitchen with Lisa, Tristan, and Grandma Coal. I'm nursing a cup of coffee, and Lisa and Tristan are talking about a book they've both recently read.

Suddenly there's a knock on the front door, and Grandma Coal is letting my sister, Verchiel, and Cara into the house.

"So we did it," Cara announces as she walks into the kitchen, my sister and Verchiel trailing behind her. She's holding a book that looks like it could be a normal book, if not for the faint glow that emanates off of it. "We got the book. And let me just say, that I didn't even have to fight any bad guys for us to get it and that was a real disappointment."

"Shut up, you were terrified anyway," Verchiel shoots back at Cara.

Cara sticks her tongue out at Verchiel and says, "Traitor!"

I chuckle at their exchange, and then suddenly the enormity of the situation hits me.

We have the book.

I choke on my coffee, embarrassing me but endearing me to everyone else, by their thoughts.

"I see the magnitude of the situation has hit you, Camael," Samael says to me.

I nod, staring at the book and its aura. "Yeah."

Cara walks over to me and holds the book out for me to take. I take the proffered book and open it to the first page and find there is a note tucked between the pages.

It's written in Angelic, but I read it aloud in English.

"So you've come to find out how to become human, have you? Well this book contains a ritual that will surely give you the results you need. Turn to page two-fifty-six for the ritual."

I turn the book to page 256 and read what's there aloud.

"Ritual for Forgiveness," I start. "To become human you must take three drops of blood from the harbinger of the Battle and mix it with your own and ingest it. Pray to Man-Deh for forgiveness, and if your intentions are pure, you shall be allowed to become human. If your intentions are impure, Man-Deh will not answer your prayers."

Cara laughs, suddenly and I frown. "What's so funny?"

"Only that Lucifer never had a chance."

I think about that, and I smile. "You're right. But he must think his intentions are worthy, whatever they are."

"Oh he thinks he's worthy. He's twisted," Samael says. "Spending any amount of time alone with him was torture. His ego is sky high."

"So, it's simple isn't it? Uncle Cam becomes human and strengthens his bons with Khiara by becoming her soul mate," Lisa says.

Everybody nods.

I feel like this is all a dream I'll wake up from any second. "So I really can become human?"

Samael nods. "Yes, little brother, you can."

I'm shaking. "You think it'll work?"

She shrugs. "Won't know until we try, and we have to try."

I close the book and put it on the table. "Well," I say, "I suppose we'd better get started."

It takes to time to get blood from me and Khiara. Mixing it is anticlimactic – I almost expected some sort of visible chemical reaction to occur, but they just mix in the vial.

Then I ingest the blood cocktail, which tastes disgusting by the way, and close my eyes and bow my head in prayer.

Man-Deh hear my prayer. I wish to become human to strengthen the harbinger's soul. That is my only wish. I understand what I am giving up, and I am prepared to lose my abilities as one of the Fallen. I could be her soul mate.

I call upon you, Man-Deh, God of Humans.

At first nothing happens. I open my eyes, and everybody is staring at me, waiting for a sign that it's worked.

And then the lights go out, or rather my eyes fall shut as the world tilts around me. I go down hard, before anybody can catch me.

"Cael!" Cara sounds as if she's somewhere far away. "Shit, his energy has drastically changed."

"I'm," I manage to get out, "I'm okay."

I open my eyes and realize I've been lifted up and am being carried somewhere.

"Who is carrying me?" I ask.

"Me," comes Tristan's voice. He sounds far away too. Everything sounds distorted and wrong.

"I'm taking you to Khiara," Tristan says. "I have a feeling being near her will help your condition."

"Whaddya mean m'condition? I ask, and then realize ho awful I sound.

"What's happened to me?" I ask, as I'm deposited in the chair next to Khiara's bed.

Tristan smiles at me, as Cara and Grandma Coal come into the room.

"It worked," Grandma Coal's voice is strong and steady, an anchor for me. "Cael, you're human."