Twenty Five

Vicky

I lied to her when I said nobody would notice her, but that was to give her a dose of bravery. I can only hope she's made it to the motel by now.

I go back to where I incapacitated the man who was guarding the book. He was a Fae, easy to knock out. I hide his body in the coat room and go to the bathroom to get cleaned up. I've already healed enough that I look like I was in the fight last week instead of today.

I leave the safety of the bathroom and head out onto the dance floor. I have to play a part. The part of somebody who is enjoying themselves here.

I allow myself to get lost in the rhythm of the music, swaying to it.

A text from Samael interrupts me:

We need to go. He doesn't know it was us that did it but he's been alerted of the books disappearance. He cut our meeting short. Meet me at the entrance. Call a cab.

Diligently I text the cab service and move to the front entrance.

I don't wait long for Samael, and we don't wait long for the cab.

Cara must be having an aneurism by now wondering where we are.

She's texted me about a hundred messages, all in the same tone: worried.

By the time we reach the motel, I can see Cara peering through the curtains at us, like a little kid.

She must have been terrified.

The instant we walk through the door she's hugging us like she thought she'd never see us again.

"Damn Cara, didn't know you had it in you to hug me," I tell her.

She doesn't even respond snarkily, she simply shrugs. "I was worried about you guys. I thought I had to make the trip back alone. Speaking of, shouldn't we get going? Aren't they like, hot on our tails or something?"

"They will search for the book, but they won't suspect us. Not right away. Not until Douma meets with Lucifer to tell him that we're not on the side of Dark," Samael says. "And he's still in Maine, hiding out. That first fight in the forest really took something out of him."

"So then let's go!" Cara nearly shrieks. "We need to get the hell out of here."

"That we can agree on," I say. "Let's blow this popsicle stand."