Twenty

Khiara

In the end, it was decided that nobody would go. We couldn't come up with any good excuses as why one of should go to their bodies before another. We compared our memories of what has happened here – I kept a lot out – and we compared our likes, dislikes, and moral philosophies.

When we presented that to Miss Adephagia, the Teacher, and the Principal, who came back after giving us two hours to discuss, it was Liam who interrupts and Unity as she's giving our final answer.

"I think I deserve to go back home. I'm clearly better than all of these other people."

We all glare at him.

"That wasn't the plan," I say. "We said nobody goes. It isn't fair to those left behind."

"Well I changed my mind," Liam says. "I want to wake up. I want to get out of here."

"Newsflash," says Hannah, "We all do."

Miss Adephagia raises a hand, and she says, "There never really was a choice, children. It was a test. Liam, you failed the test I am afraid."

He pales. "I f-failed?"

The Principal nods. "Yes, unfortunately you've failed. You put yourself before others in a situation that called for you to put others before your instead, showing great selfishness. Now, come with me."

Liam shakes his head and crosses his arms. "I'm not going anywhere," he says.

The Teacher sigs. "We are magical beings you know, we can simply snap our fingers and your soul will move on its own to the world of the Dead. Or we could do it the easy way, and you can come with me."

A muscle in Liam's jaw ticks as he clenches it. "Fine," he says. "Whatever."

He follows the Principal out of the room and we all watch him go, disgusted.

The Teacher says, "Now, for your next test, we will take you to the memory rooms. If you'll follow me," she says.

We follow her and Miss Adephagia out of the room and down the hallway, stopping in front of an ordinary looking door.

"This," she says, "leads to a series of chambers. In each chamber there is a small bed on which you will lie down. I will administer you a shot to knock you out, and you will be transported somewhere in your mind. Do not be afraid, nobody can hurt you inside of your mind."

She opens the door, and it leads to a large hallway lined with doors.

"Hannah first," she says, opening up the closest door. It leads to a small, blue-walled room with a day bed in the middle of it.

Hannah goes into the room, and we watch as the Miss Adephagia goes into the room with her. She instructs Hannah to lie down, and then injects something into her right arm. Instantly, Hannah is asleep.

By the time it's my turn, I'm nervous. They kept me for last.

My room is red.

"Don't be nervous dear," Miss Adephagia says. "As the Teacher said, you cannot be harmed inside of your mind."

"What's going to happen?" I ask.

She looks like she wants to tell me, but she just shakes her head. "I can't tell you what will happen, child. I'm sorry."

She administers the injection into my arm, and it only takes a few seconds for the darkness to take me.