Chapter 6

The servants are busy setting up the long table. The first thing that catches my attention is the abundance of blue candles and the two-piece dinnerware, both items rarely seen on our table.

'Celeste,' I quickly turn around and meet my father's gaze on his dark face.

'Father,' I mutter. 

'Good to see you, I have something fantastic to announce.' I stare at the man in astonishment. His cheerfulness is something I haven't seen in a long time, and I'm not sure if it makes me happy or uncomfortable. 

He strides into the dining hall with big steps, his gaze towards the sky as a smile plays on his lips.

'You're going to love this, we're finally going to make the world a better place.' 

My uneasy feeling grows. When my father sets out to improve the world, it usually means he's further destroying it. Our perspectives on an improved world are miles apart. I can't remember the last time he did something good, at least in my eyes.

There have been rumors of higher rents and increased surveillance on elves for some time now. However, I can't understand why it would improve his mood. Before I can ask further, he walks past me towards the table.

'I'll explain it all to you soon, sit down and have some wine. It's time to celebrate,' he says as he reaches for the wine.

I am rooted to the spot, feeling the unrest building up in my body, not just because of my overly enthusiastic father, but also because of the envelope tucked into my décolleté. I need to open and dispose of it before I step back into the bedroom. The seal signifies a death sentence for both the sender and the recipient in this castle.

Lost in my thoughts, I fail to notice the first men of the Dawn entering and taking their seats.

I stand behind my chair, waiting for my husband. Meanwhile, my father seems to be able to unload his cheerfulness on his helpers.

'Henry, how was your walk?' he asks cheerfully. I almost want to laugh at the spectacle; it feels like a poorly written play.

A hand on my lower back interrupts my gaze. Christiaan's grinning gaze looks in my direction. He quickly slides his hand downward and gives a brief squeeze to my right buttock. The man takes his seat without saying a word or looking my way.

I keep my irritation to myself and finally take my place in the chair.

Melissa rushes over and pours a glass of red wine, something I could use.

I take a sip of the red liquid and listen to the conversations around me. To my right, my father proclaims how fantastic his announcement will be. To my left, a man talks about his wife.

'I'll be happy when she arrives tonight,' he tells his colleague with a genuine smile.

Jealousy overtakes me as he continues to talk about his wife visiting for the first time in a long while. It's been so long that he can't even remember the last time.

Love shines in his eyes, and the smile doesn't leave his face. It seems fake.

I try to place who the man is and if I know his wife, but I can't.

A tapping sound reverberates through the room. My father stands up from his chair, holding a wine glass and a knife.

'Gentlemen, I have fantastic news to share. As you know, there is a need for stricter enforcement in this world.' The hope that my father would actually announce something good dissipates instantly. I pick up my wine glass and bring it to my lips. 

'I have had lengthy discussions with the Dawn and our military commanders. It took a while, but we've reached an agreement.'

I take a sip of my wine, listening with only one ear. In the corner of my eye, I see Christiaan briefly look at me with a grin on his face. 

'The Night Riders believe they hold all the power and that they are the rightful owners of our magic. These murderers and swindlers must disappear from the world, and we will make sure of it. Starting tomorrow, our army will hunt them down until there are none left. We're finally going to rid the world of these troublemakers.' Applause begins around the table, men stand up and seem proud of the news.

I am glued to my chair, unable to move. The day I have always feared has arrived, and I am trapped in it.

 The day I have always feared has arrived, and I am trapped in it